Audio Captcha Service

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
Cheater512

Audio Captcha Service

Post by Cheater512 »

How many people would use a Audio Captcha Service?
I got the idea from some of the recent Captcha discussion.

Few people have the know how and resources to put their captcha's in audio format for their forum but having a service would solve that problem.

Just a idea. :)

Kellanved
Former Team Member

Re: Audio Captcha Service

Post by Kellanved »

I'm not a fan of audio captchas. For starters, like animated captchas, they do not allow people to take their time to decipher them. That essentially forbids all things that makes recognition for bots hard; especially as the human ear is far less apt in filtering out noise than the human eye.
No support via PM.
Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Kellanved
Former Team Member

Post by Kellanved »

No, the amount of distortion possible for audio is very limited. Even the vista speech recognition will break pretty much all human-solvable audio captchas you can throw at it.

Also don't forget that different languages assign different letters to the same sound; the internationalization issues are huge.
No support via PM.
Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

Not to count that while captchas only rely on the user having a working video (which he surely has, since he's surfing the web), audio captchas rely on working speakers, volume on and set at the right level, user being in a place where his computer can make some noise, having audio enabled in his browser or a media player of some kind, etc.
I find pages with audio content very annoying.
So, in my humble opinion, this is a no-no way.

Techie-Micheal

Post by Techie-Micheal »