CVS is unsupported ...

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
jumborex

CVS is unsupported ...

Post by jumborex »

I read this in many posts. My question is, if, suppose if, I would like to try and install a CVS, may I find a description of the operation needed to make it work?
I made it sometimes: checked possible descriptions, never found any. Tried. Sometimes works, sometime no. This is not a trouble: the board for testing is not live. But, I would like to see a description of the operation intended to be normal for installing a CVS version.
Some well informed wrote: CVS is unsupported! :evil:
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
(Thomas Alva Edison)

Acyd Burn

Re: CVS is unsupported ...

Post by Acyd Burn »

It is bascially as if installing the beta. But the code is highly changing - meaning there are differences between each snapshot.

If you are competent with handling CVS directly you are able to checkout a clean module, install phpBB3 and do a CVS update from time to time to update the code. You also would need to track the checkin emails for database changes you would need to manually make. Also, you would need to run with the english language pack.

jumborex

Post by jumborex »

Acyd Burn wrote: [...] You also would need to track the checkin emails for database changes you would need to manually make. [...]

Sorry! :oops: I cannot imagine what is this: checkin emails. Who wrote them? And where? :?
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
(Thomas Alva Edison)

Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Kevin Clark »

It's this stuff
http://area51.phpbb.com/statcvs/#lastlogs

So for instance, to change the version of May 8th to the one from May 9th you'd have to do 15 sets of edits. Just for that one days difference. Then for the 10th you'll have another set of edits... etc etc....

poyntesm

Post by poyntesm »

Kevin Clark wrote: ...So for instance, to change the version of May 8th to the one from May 9th you'd have to do 15 sets of edits...

Well you would use a CVS client to do the updating of the files. If you had made edits yourself you might have conflicts and then you need to understand how a diff & merge works.

As Acyd mentioned you need to do DB work manually so either learn to do diff of the schema and data file or subscribe to email checkin list and what for changes in these two files. The others CVS client update is enough ... with these two you need to manually mirror the changes to your DB.

EDIT: This is if you do a checkout, not from a snapshot.

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

You can also visit the olympus wiki, which has a bit of documentation on using a CVS on your Localhost.

If you like Command line, you’ll love the CVS.
I run 4 CVS copies on my localhost for various actions, and created a cron that updates them twice daily.
Then I re-install 3 of them about once a week.