Now it's time to verify conversion from BB2 to BB3!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Jhong

Re: Now it's time to verify conversion from BB2 to BB3!

Post by Jhong »

MikeR wrote: No. Just update it to the new version like the phpBB2.Y to phpBB2.x does.
In otherwords, just delete the old forum and put the new v3 files in their place, then update the v2 database to v3.
This way, the links to the new phpBB3 forum are the same as they were for the old V2 forum.

I don't like the sound of that much... of course, there are still backups, but I'd much rather keep the old database tables intact until I'm well satisfied things have worked.

Also, with several users visiting each minute/second.. I want the 'forum closed' message to show on the old forum until the new one is prepared, tested, and confirmed working. At which point I can just rename a couple of folders (and update one field in the ACP) and suddenly reveal a new site. I don't want users to see a half-installed mess or anything behind the scenes.

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

Jhong wrote: I don't like the sound of that much... of course, there are still backups, but I'd much rather keep the old database tables intact until I'm well satisfied things have worked.

Database conversion does not alter/delete phpBB2 tables, it makes a copy that fits for phpBB3. So you don't need any backup or anything (though that's suggested, of course).

MikeR

Post by MikeR »

This actually makes since then. I wonder how it will effect people who are linked to a particular forum or catagory tho when you upgrade...I guess we'll find out.

Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Kevin Clark »

MikeR wrote: This actually makes since then. I wonder how it will effect people who are linked to a particular forum or catagory tho when you upgrade...I guess we'll find out.

The sensible way to do it is probably to lock the old forum, back up the db just in case, install phpBB3, run the converter and then change the folder names/script paths over so phpBB3 is on the same link and unlock the new forum.

I fancy setting up an index redirection and using a counter like they did on the main site. All the users will see is a counter with a reasonable amount of time on it (2 hours maybe) while I do everything behind the scenes.

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

Kevin Clark wrote: I fancy setting up an index redirection and using a counter like they did on the main site. All the users will see is a counter with a reasonable amount of time on it (2 hours maybe) while I do everything behind the scenes.

...systematically failing the deadline... :razz:

SamG

Post by SamG »

Nicholas the Italian wrote: ...systematically failing the deadline... :razz:
I must have missed the systematic part. :P
"I hate trolls!" - Willow Ufgood

Jhong

Post by Jhong »

Nicholas the Italian wrote:
Jhong wrote: I don't like the sound of that much... of course, there are still backups, but I'd much rather keep the old database tables intact until I'm well satisfied things have worked.

Database conversion does not alter/delete phpBB2 tables, it makes a copy that fits for phpBB3. So you don't need any backup or anything (though that's suggested, of course).

I know this :-) I was arguing against the suggestion that this not happen! Keep up! :lol: