suggestion to developers: please release beta-6

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Jhong

Re: suggestion to developers: please release beta-6

Post by Jhong »

The Grinch wrote: .... you can safely bet that if the phpbb team feel it is required, a beta 6 will happen. The last time I checked, the phpbb team seem to know what they're doing. While I'm sure they appreciate our feedback, we don't need to tell them how run their QA cycle.

Just what is this adding? You could effecitvely use this as a counterargument against any discussion you could care to bring up. It is absolutely devoid of any information whatsoever.

The Grinch

Post by The Grinch »

Jhong wrote: Just what is this adding? You could effecitvely use this as a counterargument against any discussion you could care to bring up. It is absolutely devoid of any information whatsoever.

I'm sorry that you feel that way. I'm not changing my opinion though. I meant what I said. Just look around a little to see what I mean. The effort that has gone into building phpbb3 is above amazing, and for the price (free) phpbb3 is a complete work of art.

The point I'm attempting to make is the team has done a fantastic job so far. I don't see any reason for us to suddenly start telling them how to run things.

jojobarjo32

Post by jojobarjo32 »

The Grinch wrote: I don't see any reason for us to suddenly start telling them how to run things.

It seems you misunderstood. :) We (those who think another beta would be a good thing to have) do not tell phpBB's dev team how to run things. They're developpers, as ourself (at least I suppose most of us are developpers...), so it's just an "advice": we are just telling them how we would do in their place. They're totally free to listen to us or not... we will not blame them if they don't (and we will continue to test phpBB even if they have not released another beta...).
Many here want a RC just for use it live... They don't mind if it's (relatively) bug free or not (at least they don't seem...). Most of them are not developpers so it's understandable... But you must know that there wasn't a complete code audit yet (and it's generally a thing done in the beta phase, before the "stable" release candidate) and that there are still things to do before we can say it's entirely stable... code reader has said well why a sixth beta is "needed" (not really needed but recommended) then I won't give again all the reasons...

NeilUK

Post by NeilUK »

The developers of phpBB3 have been doing this for a long time, they know when its time to release it. Everyone here may be developers elsewhere but are only guessing at the progress of Beta 5. If the developers here think a Beta 6 will benefit them they will do it, if not they will release RC1. You are all just assuming certain things when in fact they have the facts. What we hope for or think should happen doesn't matter, its their project and their call
"Life Is What Happens To You When You Are Busy Making Other Plans" - John Lennon

EvilNui

Post by EvilNui »

I think there is no reason for the users not to state their opinion or suggestions regarding this software.
And I somewhat think, that some of you think, that the dev-team only consists of gods! But in fact, sorry to say this, they're just close :lol:.

I mean, as long as the suggestions aren't obstrusive, aggressive, or cluttering up the forum, there is no real reason to stop this help!
Of course they have to backed up with reasoning, otherwise it's quite useless.

And just stating that the developer know what they're doing doesn't really help. In fact, I think that is more annoying :P
This post, for example, shouldn't be here as well... ;)

The Grinch

Post by The Grinch »

Well, we could debate this for a while.

Have a lookie at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26169&p=173558

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

Honestly, I think it's just too late for another beta.
The "mods are not supported at this time"/"you're on your own"/"don't run it live"/"conversion won't be supported"/etc. theme is getting tiring for both those telling and those hearing it.
I don't see - and have not been shown - any showstopper issue, so just give out this RC and start supporting it; strongly advise that its use is discouraged for big, economically relevant boards, major bugs might still exists and you are encouraged to update to the final version once it's released (although all this should be implied by the "RC" word itself), but release it and just let people test it in the real world, ask for support (which might cause other fixes/improvements), work on it and on its mods&styles, and so on.
This is against the "Release Candidate is a candidate for final release" philosophy, right; the alternative would be to release a beta6 dropping all the aforementioned prescriptions/limitations on it, a major change in phpBB policy; so I think it's just easier to call it Release Candidate, how many will bother after all?

All In My Humble Opinion.

muse-ic

Post by muse-ic »

well Nicholas, I think you speak great sense in that post

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

I see some of you saying "The developers know how to do things and if they feel they need another Beta, they will do it".
But there's nothing wrong with making a suggestion and having an opinion.
In my experience with the developers, if they see an idea that they like, they will implement it… otherwise they will just let these discussions go on until it gets ridicules… then lock it.
So IMO, there's nothing wrong with it.

Also, IMO, I can't stand to see people calling then "Devs", please spell it out… at least for my sake :)
Yes, I have even said it a time or two, but I just can't stand the way it sounds.
they're software "Developers" :)
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply

bad-dj

Post by bad-dj »

well i remember one of the Developers saying there is no need for another beta only if the bugs go over a number of bug or some thing i forgot were i seen it but i mite of been on area51 or the community.