Group Avatar = User Avatar?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
GAMER4EVER

Re: Group Avatar = User Avatar?

Post by GAMER4EVER »

Ok... so can I make it so that only Staff and admin can have avatars?

(Sorry if this is offtopic!)

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

There are several ways to do that... yes.
You can set a group avatar, and then set all your staff to that default group.
Of course, that would give every staff member the same avatar.
If you just want to do ranks, set a group rank.

You can also set user permissions for the Administrators group, Global Moderators group, and any other group you want to be a staff group to allow user_avatar permissions.
And disallow avatar permissions to registered users.

It really depends on how you want it done, and phpBB3 lends enough control to give you option anxiety. :D

GAMER4EVER

Post by GAMER4EVER »

Cool! As soon as RC1 comes out I'm installing phpBB3 on my server-to-be. I'm somewhat a noob at coding and installing mods, so hope fully it will be easy enough. :D

Starcraftmazter

Post by Starcraftmazter »

Just install it now, at least get to know it and set it up (trust me, it takes a while to learn, because it's so HUGE).

I'm using more than one install of the latest beta in a live environment, and take it from me, you probably won't encounter any problems (I sure haven't!).

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Starcraftmazter wrote: Just install it now, at least get to know it and set it up (trust me, it takes a while to learn, because it's so HUGE).

I'm using more than one install of the latest beta in a live environment, and take it from me, you probably won't encounter any problems (I sure haven't!).
Not a good idea.
Don’t give advise thats contradictory to what the Developers have been preaching for months...
DO NOT USE BETA ON A LIVE ENVIRONMENT!! (still)
And especially if you don’t know anything about programming and/or databases.
It’s just not a good idea, there are many things that could go wrong...

Yes, I would recommend installing a Beta in a test environment so you can start getting used to it, but be aware that you may need to clean out your database to upgrade, or if something happens.

In addition, phpBB will not offer support for Boards upgraded from a Beta Environment to RC, so that’s another reason not to use it live. :)

Starcraftmazter

Post by Starcraftmazter »

They won't? Oh well.

Personally, after using phpbb3, it's impossible to go back to phpbb2 haha, Olympus is just that good :mrgreen:

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

I have now counted 2 people that have managed to completely delete their live phpBB3 board.
Though that's user error, and won't happen to everybody… still not a good idea to run phpBB3 Beta live.
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

Handyman wrote: I have now counted 2 people that have managed to completely delete their live phpBB3 board.

8O

Code: Select all

format c:
?

BBSD

Post by BBSD »

I'm sorry to dredge up an old topic, but I've just had to completely restore my board because the Group Avatar wiped out everyone's individual avatars. This is insane behavior ... especially since there is no warning in the Administration Control panel saying that this is the case. Here's the scenario.

I have a group for approved users which I assign to them after I've determined that they're real people (not spammers). That group has a default rank which provides a number of nice features. Virtually all users are members of that group, and about 90% of them have uploaded their own avatars. I decided to change the default avatar for the 10% who still use it, and what happens? Everyone's avatar is changed back to this new default group avatar!!! Not only have they all been changed, but their manually-uploaded original avatars are now all gone!!!

So now I have a choice of either telling 90% of my users that they have to re-upload their avatars or I have to restore a backup from yesterday and lose the posts between then and now.

As a minimum, the Admin Control panel should CLEARLY warn that changing the Group Avatar will irrevocable delete all the individual avatars for everyone who is defaulted into that group. Can we at least get that?

imkingdavid

Post by imkingdavid »

A message would be a good idea, but I'd prefer for the behavior to change so that it doesn't change the avatars of users that already have an avatar. Maybe we can add a checkbox to determine whether current avatars are preserved or overridden.
I do custom MODs. PM for a quote!
View My: MODs | Portfolio
Please do NOT contact for support via PM or email.
Remember, the enemy's gate is down.