So what kinds of mods have you guys made for Olympus?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
shoes22

Re: So what kinds of mods have you guys made for Olympus?

Post by shoes22 »

I'm working on a "Leave Comments In Profile" (tentatively titled) MOD for phpbb3. It will work similarly to the commenting feature on sites like Facebook or Myspace.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

shoes22 wrote: I'm working on a "Leave Comments In Profile" (tentatively titled) MOD for phpbb3. It will work similarly to the commenting feature on sites like Facebook or Myspace.

What about just calling it "Profile Comments Mod"? :mrgreen:

david63

Post by david63 »

tffnguy wrote: A digest MOD would still be good! Anyone? I've got quiet a few members on digest and am sure they won't be happy campers when there isn't one in 3.
I did a lot of the work on the latest version of the Digest mod and would consider doing a rewrite if there was enough interest - and help!
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

juuldr

Post by juuldr »

I am started creating an blog and it starts to be something, I think the part of my own module is today at the end (i mean the basic things...) Then I need only to create the UCP, MCP (I don't know sure i am going to make that) and ACP modules. :o I saw i am not the only one how gone make an blog system but I will work very hard on it and I hope it will be something and else i hope i've learned a lot of it :mrgreen:

shoes22

Post by shoes22 »

EXreaction wrote:
shoes22 wrote: I'm working on a "Leave Comments In Profile" (tentatively titled) MOD for phpbb3. It will work similarly to the commenting feature on sites like Facebook or Myspace.

What about just calling it "Profile Comments Mod"? :mrgreen:

You sir, win. Excellent name. 8)

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

juuldr wrote: I am started creating an blog and it starts to be something, I think the part of my own module is today at the end (i mean the basic things...) Then I need only to create the UCP, MCP (I don't know sure i am going to make that) and ACP modules. :o I saw i am not the only one how gone make an blog system but I will work very hard on it and I hope it will be something and else i hope i've learned a lot of it :mrgreen:

Just a tip for modding.

Try and make everything as stand alone as possible(while still requiring the core code). For instance you can add permissions sections to the page by simply uploading a new file to the lang/en/acp directory. As long as it is setup and named correctly it will work exactly the same as making changes to the core code, except no changes will need to be made.

For instance, on my blog mod, so far there are only a few places that need editing.
1. constants.php - to add the defines for tables. This is the only edit that is needed to make the mod work.
(I may even take this edit out and do some magic to get the table prefix out of an existing define, since the table prefix seems to be unset somewhere along the line)
From here on the edits are optional, if you do not want the blog button to be displayed there you don't have to make the changes.
2. view topic
3. view profile
4. memberlist

And if you want to place the button anywhere you will have to add a section of code to the image set file(I think, though there may be another way to do this).

juuldr

Post by juuldr »

Thanx for the tips, I just changed 2 files in my mod (language files for assigning the language keys in the ucp and acp) I haven't modified constants.php but i have created my own constants.php I think thats easier for installing the blog and so I haven't any other change in the code exept the link to the blog in the header :)

yautja_cetanu

Post by yautja_cetanu »

EXreaction,

One thing about that. I may not have understood exactly what you've said but isn't that method less secure? For example lets say you just copy phpbb's permissions and upload a new file and install yor blog mod using that. Then a security flaw is detected in the permissions system, they release a patch. But the patch won't patch your version of the permissions system? So the exploit will still be in your board?

Am I right?

Or is it normal for mod authors to follow patch changelogs very closely and edit their mods accordingly?

poyntesm

Post by poyntesm »

The file EXreaction is talking about is a language file. It in itself does not created/add/delete/maintain any permissions. You still have to do that via the correct functions.

But since you need to explain the new permission to the admin its a language file which just holds language keys. So no security risk.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Yes, its a language file. :)

It looks like this:

Code: Select all

<?php

if (empty($lang) || !is_array($lang))
{
    $lang = array();
}

$lang['permission_cat']['blog'] = 'Blog';

// User Permissions
$lang = array_merge($lang, array(
    'acl_u_blogview'        => array('lang' => 'Can view blogs', 'cat' => 'blog'),
    'acl_u_blogpost'        => array('lang' => 'Can post blogs', 'cat' => 'blog'),
    'acl_u_blogedit'        => array('lang' => 'Can edit own blogs', 'cat' => 'blog'),
    'acl_u_blogdelete'        => array('lang' => 'Can delete blogs', 'cat' => 'blog'),
    'acl_u_blognoapprove'    => array('lang' => 'Blogs do not need approval before public viewing', 'cat' => 'blog'),
    'acl_u_blogreport'        => array('lang' => 'Can report blogs', 'cat' => 'blog'),
    'acl_u_blogbbcode'        => array('lang' => 'Can post BBCode in blogs', 'cat' => 'blog'),
    'acl_u_blogsmilies'        => array('lang' => 'Can post smilies in blogs', 'cat' => 'blog'),
    'acl_u_blogimg'            => array('lang' => 'Can post images in blogs', 'cat' => 'blog'),
    'acl_u_blogurl'            => array('lang' => 'Can post URL\'s blogs', 'cat' => 'blog'),
    'acl_u_blogflash'        => array('lang' => 'Can post flash in blogs', 'cat' => 'blog'),
));

// Moderator Permissions
    'acl_m_blogapprove'        => array('lang' => 'Can approve blogs for public viewing', 'cat' => 'blog'),
    'acl_m_blogedit'        => array('lang' => 'Can edit blogs', 'cat' => 'blog'),
    'acl_m_blogdelete'        => array('lang' => 'Can delete blogs', 'cat' => 'blog'),
));

// Administrator Permissions
    'acl_a_blogmanage'        => array('lang' => 'Can change blog settings', 'cat' => 'blog'),
));
?>
Just having that in a file named something like permissions_blog.php(in lang/xx/acp/) and those sections will automatically be included(where you turn permissions on and off, the only other thing you have to do to make it work is add the sections to the acl_options table and it will appear). ;)

Much different than phpBB2. :)