Forum Permissions - I just cant comprehend!!!

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
mrskiprat

Forum Permissions - I just cant comprehend!!!

Post by mrskiprat »

Hia guys,

Im just trying to grasp the new persmission system, but cannot grasp how the two 'kinds' of persmissions mesh together.

I wonder if someone could give me an example of how they set theirs?

The issue im having really is that i feel like im going around in circles.

In group permissions i add user and mod permissions, then i need to add them in forum permissions too?

Stu

dhn

Re: Forum Permissions - I just cant comprehend!!!

Post by dhn »

mrskiprat wrote: In group permissions i add user and mod permissions, then i need to add them in forum permissions too?

No, the user and mod permissions you set in the group and user permissions are GLOBAL. Permissions you set on a forum are LOCAL. Please read the introduction page that is displayed on when you select the Permissions tab. It has all this information in a few sentences. If that is not enough, it also has a link to the documentation about Permissions.

mrskiprat

Post by mrskiprat »

Cheers for that.

I did read the literature, but still struggled to comprehend - took me a pen and paper to do so!

Maybe (no definately) im a bit slow this week :)

S

gspark

Post by gspark »

I could not have created a better title for this post, i too just can't comprehend,

The new permission setup is on crack if you ask me way too many parameters, very difficult to grasp
I notice now guest is a member group ? and what is considered a real guest one who has not registered someone just visiting, do we have to put a registered user into guest member group to make them a guest ?

how to set the board so everyone can at least see the categories/forums, it appears you have to take 5 hrs just to figure out the permissions setup,

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

gspark wrote: I could not have created a better title for this post, i too just can't comprehend,

The new permission setup is on crack if you ask me way too many parameters, very difficult to grasp
I notice now guest is a member group ? and what is considered a real guest one who has not registered someone just visiting, do we have to put a registered user into guest member group to make them a guest ?

how to set the board so everyone can at least see the categories/forums, it appears you have to take 5 hrs just to figure out the permissions setup,

it's really not that bad.
All you have to do is set the permissions for the forums.
The un-registered users/Guests are in the Guests Group… then you have the Registered users group… where most of the registered users go… unless you specify that once they register, they all go in there.
Then just edit the forum permissions for those groups and everybody will be able to see what you have set for them.

Once you do it once… it's really easy.
Whatever you do, just don't try to set permissions for a single users… thats a real hassle if you have to do more than one… it's better to create new groups and set permissions for them and put people into groups accordingly.
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply

gspark

Post by gspark »

i'm getting the hang of it now thanks :) although i still don't see it as userfriendly, took me awhile to figure it out

Ladysarajane

Post by Ladysarajane »

It was different for me too...but once I start thinking in groups...instead of individuals, the way to set persmissions made sense and is easier on the fly..

marosell

Post by marosell »

it takes some getting used to; definitely took me about a week to really grab a solid understanding for the whole ACP. nothing new and cool is every intuitive compared to the simplicity it came from, but it'll "click", and once it does..... its very, very nice

though i have to say i'm having a harder time getting used to office 2007 then i did with phpbb3 8O

pentapenguin

Post by pentapenguin »

Okay here is my (probably not very good or clear :) ) explanation of permissions:

Roles: phpBB3's permissions system is very complex. To make permissions easier to work with there are roles. Roles are basically just presets for permissions so you can just set a role and not have to manually set each and every tiny permissions setting.

Forum Permissions: By default, forums have no permissions...in other words, nobody (including admins) can see them. You will need to edit their permissions and set permissions for each group. Also forum permissions are local -- permissions for forums are just for that forum or forums. Say for example...disallowing attachments affects just that one forum. You may still be able to add them in a different forum.

User permissions: User permissions are global -- in other words they apply to every forum and the board at large.

There...I probably just confused you more. :P
phpBB.com Support Team Member and Incident Investigation Team Member
My phpBB MODs || Professional phpBB Customization, Transfers, and Conversions

MikeR

Post by MikeR »

in other words, nobody (including admins) can see them

Not smart. Admins should by default see every forum/catagory created.
The ACP is a conglomerated mess. It's taken me a month to start getting a grasp on some of it. I don't like it at all. I like the features it has, but it could have been done a whole lot easier.