automatic update without fsockopen()?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
hoerbert

automatic update without fsockopen()?

Post by hoerbert »

Hi there!

Just got a little question which came to my mind:
Will there be a way to use the automatic updater (the one which merges old, edited files and the new ones [within the phpbb3-path]) without fsockopen()? I know it is used to detect the newest version of the forum from the phpbb.com-site, but isn't there any other way?
A german freehoster (where many phpbb2s are hosted) disabled the function, so there will be more questions like mine in the future i think ;)
:D

Nicholas the Italian

Re: automatic update without fsockopen()?

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

I have the same problem, actually. You can download the "changed files" package, I don't know whether there are other ways to do it.

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Best thing to do in that case is to download all your files from your forum, duplicate the database, and install the whole shabang on your localhost, and then running the update there... once it is completed, upload the changed files to your website.

Cheater512

Post by Cheater512 »

There is also cURL. If your host has disabled that too then you have a really *beep* host. ;)

Wert

Post by Wert »

The real solution is to not use a crappy "free' host.

Hosting is dirt cheap these days.
Last edited by Wert on Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Need good web hosting? I recommend Hostrocket.

Freelance

Post by Freelance »

It's better to go with cheap hosting, than with free hosting.
But not the cheapest hosting, they can be a pain in the ass too.
been there, done that.
Sh*t Can Happen !!!
[Building a large project based on phpBB3 - Progress 15%]
[IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII]

Acyd Burn

Post by Acyd Burn »

The answer we will give is to either use the changed files package (if you haven't modified your installation or remember your changes to be able to put them back after replacing the files) or the patch files package. The patch files package needs a patch application - some are available for windows too. For the two methods, do not forget to run the database_update.php script too.

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

One of my clients is testing out phpBB3, so I'm keeping the forum updated for them... the problem is they have a heavy limit on their hosting abilities... even FTP does not work entirely correctly.

These are the steps that I take to update such a forum: (assuming forum directory is named "phpBB")
  1. Remote Server: download all files to your localhost, if you don't have them there already.
  2. Remote Server: Create a backup of the database in the admin panel.
  3. Download the backup, by choosing the download and store backup option, download restore file, or through FTP.
  4. localhost: Login to your localhost board, go to ACP > Maint. > Restore, and restore the backup you just downloaded from your Remote forum.
  5. localhost: If backup fails, you can load it into your localhost via phpMyAdmin import, the file import is set much larger by default.
  6. localhost: Download backup package, run the update... and the database.
  7. localhost: Compare the files, make the necessary changes, and download the changed file package to your hard drive.
  8. localhost: Log in to your localhost board, go to ACP > Maint. > Backup, and backup the database (full, all, sql gzip -- gzip if you can)
  9. localhost: Rename your local forum directory to something else for now. (e.g. change /phpBB/ to /phpBB_copy/
  10. localhost: Place the changed files package in your localhost, and name it the exact name your forum was named (e.g. name it /phpBB/)
  11. localhost: Move your recently backed up file located at /phpBB_copy/store/backup_<timestamp>_<hash>.sql.gz to /phpBB/store/backup_<timestamp>_<hash>.sql.gz
  12. FTP: Upload your entire /phpBB/ directory using your favorite FTP program.
  13. Remote Server: Login to your remote board, go to ACP > Maint. > Restore > and restore the most recent file, which is usually the last one on the list (bottom of list)
  14. If you are seeing errors, clear your template cache in ACP > Styles > Templates > Refresh, and refresh your config table by going to ACP > Board Settings, and change an option.

hoerbert

Post by hoerbert »

i do not want to start a discussion about (free-)hosting here, OK?

so i will then have to use the "localhost-workaround". that's all i wanted to know ;)
:D