I'm in Awe! Just Floored!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
The Grinch

Re: I'm in Awe! Just Floored!

Post by The Grinch »

Just so there is no confusion, you can upgrade to phpBB3 from phpBB2 even if you have a lot of mods, as long as the basic database structure has not been altered. The converter will move only the phpBB data that is part of the original phpBB2 install. In the end you will end up with a fresh copy of phpBB3 with all of your users, posts, PMs and permission settings. Any "extra" data in the database that came from a Mod will be lost.

For example, if you installed the "Real Name mod" in phpBB2, when you convert to phpBB3 you will lose all of your user's Real Names. It's the price you will pay if you decide to upgrade.

If you want all of your old mods back, you will have to wait for someone to re-write them for phpBB3.
cutaia

Post by cutaia »

The Grinch wrote: Just so there is no confusion, you can upgrade to phpBB3 from phpBB2 even if you have a lot of mods, as long as the basic database structure has not been altered.

This leads me to ask...how would one know if the basic structure has been altered? I know that some of my mods (cash mod for example, I think) have added tables to the database. Is something like that going to cause a problem...or would it have to be something even more structure-changing than that?
The Grinch wrote: If you want all of your old mods back, you will have to wait for someone to re-write them for phpBB3.

Technically a lot of old mods are going to be standard now. ;) That's the exciting part to me.
Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Most MODs don't change the default table structures, and the upgrade script won't have any difficulty ignoring those fileds, but you have some, such as CH MOD, Profiles Hierarchy etc which you would have great difficulty upgrading from.

You won't have difficulty upgrading a forum that has Cash MOD installed... the converter will just bypass the added fields.
The true-tell, however is actually running the conversion for yourself to see if it will convert your board. :D

Yes, APTX, Isn't it great. :D
You can build MODs for phpBB3, but you can't use them... simply because they wont work... and vise-versa. :P

(for those that don't know, I'm joking...)
(good catch, It must have been late at night ;) ) Yes... I meant phpBB2 MODs will not work with phpBB3 and Vise-versa.