Pruning and member post count (Rank Drop)

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
tffnguy

Pruning and member post count (Rank Drop)

Post by tffnguy »

I run sort of a military ranking system on my forums. Now as the forums auto prune the rank drops. This tends to P___ off some people. Is there a way to stop this? I figured it had been takne care on in phpBB3, but I guess not?
Plano, Texas

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Re: Pruning and member post count (Rank Drop)

Post by Highway of Life »

If this happens in phpBB3... then please report it as a bug to the glorious Bug Tracker.

Thanks.

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

This is disputable indeed.
Should post count be lowered when messages are pruned? This would damage posters who have been posting for ages (and also provide false data, since if I've posted 1000 messages, 500 of which got pruned, I still posted 1000 msgs). On the other side, if it doesn't, there would be inconsistency between post count and actual/readable messages.
Also, deleted (by moderator, admin or user himself) messages should lower the post count.
Oh, well.

tffnguy

Post by tffnguy »

Highway of Life wrote: If this happens in phpBB3... then please report it as a bug to the glorious Bug Tracker.

Thanks.

I can assure you it happens because now the ladies are trying to build their post count back up by gripping at me. ;)

Here is 3 accounts both before and after prunning.

Wanda

Karen

David

* phpBB2 (Prunning disabled)

~ phpBB3 (Prunning enabled)
Plano, Texas

tffnguy

Post by tffnguy »

Nicholas the Italian wrote: This is disputable indeed.
Should post count be lowered when messages are pruned? This would damage posters who have been posting for ages (and also provide false data, since if I've posted 1000 messages, 500 of which got pruned, I still posted 1000 msgs). On the other side, if it doesn't, there would be inconsistency between post count and actual/readable messages.
Also, deleted (by moderator, admin or user himself) messages should lower the post count.
Oh, well.

Either way it sort of makes the ranking system useless. Especially if a ranking system is evident to users (like rank insignias) I only enabled pruning on two forums that are mainly chit chat and BS. Still I assumed that the post count would stay the same. Now if I go in to the data base editor and raise the number of posts back up to what they were in phpBB2 and keep the pruning enabled then for people that don't post much that may run in to a negative number before long?
Plano, Texas

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

tffnguy

Post by tffnguy »

Highway of Life wrote: Reported.

Woops! I guess twice because I just reported it to.
Plano, Texas

b3rx

Post by b3rx »

tffnguy wrote:
Highway of Life wrote: Reported.

Woops! I guess twice because I just reported it to.

lol i've just read both report..
b3rx.com

"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing..."

Image Image Image

tffnguy

Post by tffnguy »

To get the monkeys off my back I just posted that I would set the post counts back to what they were in phpBB2 + 100, but I'm wondering if this is a wise decision or not? Anyone have a clue and if it wouldn't cause problems what table would I edit in the database to raise the post count of each user?
Plano, Texas

tffnguy

Post by tffnguy »

Oh well my report just got closed because it was duplicate report. For the records though just to make sure this was happening I pruned one of the forums and here is what it is now as far as post count goes. I was in hot water before so you can imagine what I'm in now. (Deep S__t!)

Wanda

Karen

David

* phpBB2 (Prunning disabled)

~ phpBB3 (Prunning enabled)

^ Just pruned Forum
Plano, Texas