phpBB2 -> phpBB3 Upgrade Script Discussion

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Post Reply
User avatar
Highway of Life
Registered User
Posts: 1399
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:18 pm
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code
Contact:

Re: phpBB2 -> phpBB3 Upgrade Script Discussion

Post by Highway of Life »

ndL wrote: same problem for me, comments?

Give it some time... if you've waited quite a while, and nothing has happened, just restart the script... it will pick up where it left off.

Paulo França, your tip/quick step guide was extremely informative... I know it's not useful to me, but I have saved it for others who may need it in the future.
Thanks for posting that!
Image
DBM
Registered User
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:22 pm
Contact:

Re: phpBB2 -> phpBB3 Upgrade Script Discussion

Post by DBM »

Highway of Life wrote:
ndL wrote: same problem for me, comments?

Give it some time... if you've waited quite a while, and nothing has happened, just restart the script... it will pick up where it left off.

24 hours later, still no progress. Restart the script, it craps out at exactly the same point every time and looking in phpMyadmin, the number of converted posts etc is always exactly the same.

I've reported it as a bug.

There are a few modifications but nothing that radically alters the database. There's the google Sitemaps mod, which adds a table, but the script is supposed to just ignore such things.

I'll try stripping it all out to a vanilla phpbb and see if that works but I don't have a great deal of time to do it right now. I also don't fancy that as a solution when it comes to converting the live board for real.
User avatar
Paulo França
Registered User
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:02 am
Location: Brazil
Contact:

Re: phpBB2 -> phpBB3 Upgrade Script Discussion

Post by Paulo França »

Highway of Life wrote: Paulo França, your tip/quick step guide was extremely informative... I know it's not useful to me, but I have saved it for others who may need it in the future. Thanks for posting that!

Happy to be useful, but sad that I'm not able to write a db type conversion script as I know nothing about PHP. Anyways, sooner or later someone capable will end up showing up and he'll get it done.

Thanks for the acknowledgement. :oops: :D
Plug smartness into your applications... make'em talk SmartPlugin!
Image
DanoruX
Registered User
Posts: 156
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:47 pm
Contact:

Re: phpBB2 -> phpBB3 Upgrade Script Discussion

Post by DanoruX »

Well, just want you guys to know I successfully converted a backup of my forum (9.3k posts, 50-something users) without problems :D
DBM
Registered User
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:22 pm
Contact:

Re: phpBB2 -> phpBB3 Upgrade Script Discussion

Post by DBM »

DBM wrote: I'll try ripping it all out to a vanilla phpbb and see if that works but I don't have a great deal of time to do it right now. I also don't fancy that as a solution when it comes to converting the live board for real.


I have now stripped out all the mods using the "clean_tables" tool (as recommended in the phpbb knowledge base), so the test board is now completely vanilla. And I'm still having the same problems with the page just timing out and checks in phpMyadmin show that no further progress has been made.

The test board is a clone of my live board (using a copy of the live database in an entirely separate database and copies of the live board's files in a separate folder).

I'm very reluctant to let this script loose on my live board until this problem can be ironed out.
User avatar
Paulo França
Registered User
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:02 am
Location: Brazil
Contact:

Re: phpBB2 -> phpBB3 Upgrade Script Discussion

Post by Paulo França »

Just to let you know I have just added a step (added #2) I forgot to write at that time. :oops:
   /viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26348&p=172252#p172252
Plug smartness into your applications... make'em talk SmartPlugin!
Image
Klors
Registered User
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:08 pm

Re: phpBB2 -> phpBB3 Upgrade Script Discussion

Post by Klors »

DBM wrote:
DBM wrote: I'll try ripping it all out to a vanilla phpbb and see if that works but I don't have a great deal of time to do it right now. I also don't fancy that as a solution when it comes to converting the live board for real.


I have now stripped out all the mods using the "clean_tables" tool (as recommended in the phpbb knowledge base), so the test board is now completely vanilla. And I'm still having the same problems with the page just timing out and checks in phpMyadmin show that no further progress has been made.

The test board is a clone of my live board (using a copy of the live database in an entirely separate database and copies of the live board's files in a separate folder).

I'm very reluctant to let this script loose on my live board until this problem can be ironed out.

Where are you doing this test? On a hosted web server or on your local machine? Maybe try it on your local machine if you're currently doing it on a hosted machine to make sure they're not artificially restricting the number of mysql updates you can do at once.
ndL
Registered User
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:10 pm
Location: Vilnius, Lithuania
Contact:

Re: phpBB2 -> phpBB3 Upgrade Script Discussion

Post by ndL »

i did a test on my local machine, it worked fine, i realised that my hosting restricts that amount of sql querys per script and time i think. anything to do? maybe Devs could help people who experiences this kind of error, id like to suggest making a conversion script in parts, like you could press "next" button to proceed to the next conversion level where another 2000querys will be copied or something like that, i hope you understood what i wanted to say.

Thanks, Ignas
User avatar
Highway of Life
Registered User
Posts: 1399
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:18 pm
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code
Contact:

Re: phpBB2 -> phpBB3 Upgrade Script Discussion

Post by Highway of Life »

If you are having difficulty converting your board on your server, try it on your localhost.
Run WAMP if you have Windoz
Run XAMPP if you have Windoz, Linux, or Mac
Run MAMP if you have a Mac
You can run the conversion on your localhost, then export your database in phpMyAdmin, then import it onto your remote server.

Thanks Paulo, change saved.
Image
DBM
Registered User
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:22 pm
Contact:

Re: phpBB2 -> phpBB3 Upgrade Script Discussion

Post by DBM »

Highway of Life wrote: If you are having difficulty converting your board on your server, try it on your localhost.
Run WAMP if you have Windoz

Thanks for the tip, HoL.

WAMP (and php 4.4.4 add-on) installed.

Any chance of a quick idiot's guide to performing the upgrade on there? :oops:
Post Reply