phpBB2 -> phpBB3 Upgrade Script Discussion

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
naderman
Consultant

Re: phpBB2 -> phpBB3 Upgrade Script Discussion

Post by naderman »

A reminder: PLEASE report all bugs to the bugtracker: http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/

thespirit

Post by thespirit »

I did a test conversion of our small forum today on my machine locally. It went very well. Everything seems to work fine.

I will be running the conversion on our public server next... It won't go live, but it will allow people to test it out in a somewhat "live" environment.

Thanks for all the hard work that went into this version. I love it!

Grok

Post by Grok »

I was not asking for support. Just as to whether this was a bug that I should report, or something I should seek support for.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /install/convertors/functions_phpbb20.php on line 353: include(./../../bb/language/lang_/lang_main.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory

ndL

Post by ndL »

i would like to ask if someone experienced this BUG/ERROR i just dont know how to name it, i start the converter but after few minutes it stops and my database stop being coverted, the page stops as a 404 page not found with url: .../phpBB3/install/index.php?mode=convert&sub=in_progress&tag=phpbb20&confirm=1

any ideas?

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

ndL wrote: any ideas?
Yep... post it as a bug report to the Bug Tracker :P

ndL

Post by ndL »

could it be a sql error? my database doesnt get through 7mb of conversion ... all database has 32mb . it looks like my convertion page reaches its session limit and just shows that page cannot be displayed. damn i am so excited but i am stuck in conversion

DBM

Post by DBM »

Is the converter supposed to be displaying anything once conversion is under way?

On my test forum, it passes the initial checks and then I just get a blank screen with nothing apparently happening with the url ../install/index.php?mode=convert&sub=in_progress&tag=phpbb20&confirm=1.

It looks like it's just hanging.

Having checked in phpMyadmin, it looks like some conversion has been done but little evidence of any progress in the last 15 minutes or so.

If I should report this as a bug, is there anything more meaningful I can put than "screen hangs after passing initial tests"?

DanoruX

Post by DanoruX »

Can someone explain how exactly the conversion is supposed to work? Or rather, whether this is the right order of doing things:

1. phpbb2 is installed already
2. upload phpbb3 files to different/same folder
3. disable forum
4. go to phpbb3 filepath
5. convert

Is that right?

Dicky

Post by Dicky »

You are missing a step

1. phpbb2 is installed already
2. upload phpbb3 files to different/same folder (Upload to a different folder is better)
3. disable forum
4. go to phpbb3 filepath
4a. Install phpBB3 into the phpBB2 database. Use a table prefix that is different from the phpbb2 table prefix.
5. convert

Paulo França

Post by Paulo França »

1. Managed to convert v2.0.22 (with MySql) to v3.0 b5-cvs (with Firebird), but by using some tricks:
  2. Did a clean v3 install for MySql, and:
    1. Applied the conversion still for MySql in the same database.
    2. Exported the database Data-Only (no structure) in text format (no gzip).
    3. Removed all occurrences of "TRUNCATE TABLE" in the SQL script exported.
    4. Replaced (from Notepad) some badly-exported accented characters (see notes below).
    5. Replaced (from Notepad) all occurrences of "\'" (backslash + quote) by "''" (2 quotes). (added #1)
    6. Deleted the MySql-based board.
  3. Did a clean v3 install for Firebird and, using EMS SQL Manager:
    1. DEactivated all triggers (they would auto-increment the generators during import).
    2. Manually cleared up all tables (the install created some initial data).
    3. Ran the script (containing solely INSERT statements).
    4. Reactivated the triggers.
    5. Reset every Generator to reflect the higher value of the primary key field in the respective table. (added #2)
The special characters used in user names and topics were correctly converted, but badly translated when exported. The generated SQL seemed to have them in multi-byte format (2 chars each).

As such, I've had to apply a manual find/replace from within Notepad against the SQL exported before running it against the Firebird database. Here are some examples:

Code: Select all

š -> š     ç -> ç     é -> é
  á -> á     ö -> ö     õ -> õ
  ñ -> ñ     ö -> ö     Ã- -> Ö
  ó -> ó     ú -> ú     ø -> ø
  ï -> ï     ü -> ü     ã -> ã
  ä -> ä     Ã¥ -> å
In the end, I got my old MySql (duh) based board in v2.0.22 converted to v3 with Firebird.
I'm happy!

A note about the log table:
After following all steps above, the first time you enter the ACP you'll see (a few lines of) debug warnings in the top of the ACP page. Just go to the "Maintenance" tab and clear up all logs then delete the files in the "\cache" folder. The warnings do not appear anymore.
Last edited by Paulo França on Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:25 am, edited 15 times in total.
Plug smartness into your applications... make'em talk SmartPlugin!