phpBB2 -> phpBB3 Upgrade Script Discussion

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Paulo França

Re: phpBB2 -> phpBB3 Upgrade Script Discussion

Post by Paulo França »

I must be too stupid. I can't even step beyond the first "convert" screen.

My forum (relative) path is "../cgi-bin/forum".
I know it's ok because I get an error (telling the old db was not found) when I enter anything else, so this is the correct path.

My prefix in the origin database (in MySQL) is "phpbb_" (I'm sure), so I entered this.

When I click the "Begin conversion" button, I get this error:
The convertor was not able to find tables with the specified prefix. Please make sure you have the old within the same database as your phpBB 3.0.x installation. The default table prefix for phpBB 2.0.x is phpbb_

I know I won't get support for this by now. I just wanted to see the second screen in action here (not in a snapshot by others). :roll: :oops:
Plug smartness into your applications... make'em talk SmartPlugin!

juuldr

Post by juuldr »

I thought you must have the old phpBB and the new phpBB in the same DB?

Nicholas the Italian

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

Acyd (or whoever-for-you), in beta5 convertor can you please put a 50-pixel wide red bold blinking line that reads "old and new tables MUST be placed in the same database?" :roll:

Paulo França

Post by Paulo França »

juuldr wrote: I thought you must have the old phpBB and the new phpBB in the same DB?

No. My old is MySQL and the new is Firebird, so how can I have them into the same DB?

And, supposing I do the conversion to the same MySQL, would I be able to migrate later to Firebird by just exporting (in MySQL) and importing into Firebird?

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Nicholas the Italian wrote: Acyd (or whoever-for-you), in beta5 convertor can you please put a 50-pixel wide red bold blinking line that reads "old and new tables MUST be placed in the same database?" :roll:

I still think the best way would be to make it able to use 2 different databases. :P

sarble

Post by sarble »

howdy

i just tryed the converter and it gave me this sql error msg. the only mod i have installed is the extreme styles mod. i took a copy of the db and hosted it localy i dont know if that makes a difference. short version is "f.cat_id must appear in the Group By clause". i have no clue why this is. i am attaching a jpg of the error msg in case anybody wants to give me a pointer or two.

thanks
Attachments
untitled.jpg
(111.84 KiB) Downloaded 1708 times

drewtscott

Post by drewtscott »

My smilies and avatars will not transfer.

When I tried the first CVS that included a converter (when this topic was created) I just assumed that I didn't have the chmod permissions set correctly. I tried again with a later CVS and now with B5 and they're still not converting.

My images folder (as well as all sub and sub-sub folders) are set to 777. The permissions, as set, pass the "pre convert" tests which check for writeability.

What I can't figure out iis whether or not this is a problem with the convertor - all of the bug reports I see regarding the avatar transfer are closed - yet I can't seem to figure out what it could be on my end.

Thanks

Paulo França

Post by Paulo França »

:?: Just a question about converting to the same database:
Do the old tables survive to the conversion so that I can still use my old board? Or they will be deleted upon conversion completion?

I'm asking this because I'd like to try converting to the same MySQL database (just to try it out) but I don't wish to loose my old board's data.

karlsemple

Post by karlsemple »

Paulo França wrote: :?: Just a question about converting to the same database:
Do the old tables survive to the conversion so that I can still use my old board? Or they will be deleted upon conversion completion?

I'm asking this because I'd like to try converting to the same MySQL database (just to try it out) but I don't wish to loose my old board's data.

If you convert from phpBB2 -> phpBB3 you end up with both sets of table in the database, the ones for phpBB3 and phpBB2 so in answer to your question ... you will still be able to use the old phpBB2 board as well as the phpBB3 board. As with everything though...you should always back up before doing anything ;)

Paulo França

Post by Paulo França »

karlsemple wrote: If you convert from phpBB2 -> phpBB3 you end up with both sets of table in the database, the ones for phpBB3 and phpBB2 so in answer to your question ... you will still be able to use the old phpBB2 board as well as the phpBB3 board.

Thank you very much for your reply.
I am currently with the conversion page open on the "Conversion in progress" step, just waiting for a response (like yours) for me to hit the "Continue conversion" button.

I was afraid to step forward without a confirmation. Now, let's see what happens next... :D