phpBB2 -> phpBB3 Upgrade Script Discussion

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team

Re: phpBB2 -> phpBB3 Upgrade Script Discussion

Post by Kevin Clark »

Does the speed of it matter that much? You're only going to do it once or twice at the most.

drewtscott

Post by drewtscott »

Kevin Clark wrote: Does the speed of it matter that much? You're only going to do it once or twice at the most.

But when you factor in that your board is going to have to be disabled as you run the copy functions, it does matter. In a forum with thousands of users and hundreds of thousands of posts, that's a long time.

Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Kevin Clark »

If you tell them before you do it it won't be. If they know it's going to be off for 6 hours or 10 hours or a day while you convert the forum over they won't mind.

chrisf

Post by chrisf »

It's not just the loss of forum for the users, it's the fact that the longer the script takes the more chance there is for errors.

I've not got a particularly reliable broadband connection. It's unlikely it will stay up for the 6+ hours required for conversion which means the convert script being run and refreshed via my browser will timeout and the convert fail when i loose connection.
I'd much rather have a way of doing it directly on the server where i can it something going, disconnect, then just check back on it periodically.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

chrisf wrote: It's not just the loss of forum for the users, it's the fact that the longer the script takes the more chance there is for errors.

I've not got a particularly reliable broadband connection. It's unlikely it will stay up for the 6+ hours required for conversion which means the convert script being run and refreshed via my browser will timeout and the convert fail when i loose connection.
I'd much rather have a way of doing it directly on the server where i can it something going, disconnect, then just check back on it periodically.

Do the upgrade on a local server. :)

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

chrisf wrote: I've not got a particularly reliable broadband connection. It's unlikely it will stay up for the 6+ hours required for conversion which means the convert script being run and refreshed via my browser will timeout and the convert fail when i loose connection.

It tracks what's completed, and can pick up in the middle of the conversion if it needs to do so. If you lose connection and come back to the upgrade script, it will pick up from the last point marked successful.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

fatihalp

Post by fatihalp »

Who can explain converting clearly?

I dont understant, for example which file will upload which directory :( I cant see caonvert after phpBB3 installation
And when will support special characters, like in Turkish or German...

Thanks

naderman
Consultant

Post by naderman »

Alegis wrote: Ran a test drive, I love the convert process, and 3.x is a lovely improvement over 2.x.

I had no problems, except for avatars. While the avatar dimension of users was remembered, the avatar itself was not. All the other settings converted succesfully.

EDIT: seems all polls are broken. While the stats are still there (x votes for the first option etc), the description of each voting option is gone. If you edit the post, there is nothing there in the poll options. Doesn't bother me though, but may bother others.

That's why you should report bugs on http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/ please!

macfrag

Post by macfrag »

With the conversion script i noticed that the old administrators were still marked as "administrators" but did not have full control. The phpbb3 administrator (registered during the phpbb3 installation) had some extra options, must noticeable under ACP->System.

the problem i noticed is that if during the installation i choose a username that is already a user in the old board, then after the conversion this user receives no administrative privileges. This way the new board has no administrator with full ACP->System access.

sorry for the bad english, i hope i made myself clear.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

macfrag wrote: With the conversion script i noticed that the old administrators were still marked as "administrators" but did not have full control. The phpbb3 administrator (registered during the phpbb3 installation) had some extra options, must noticeable under ACP->System.

the problem i noticed is that if during the installation i choose a username that is already a user in the old board, then after the conversion this user receives no administrative privileges. This way the new board has no administrator with full ACP->System access.

sorry for the bad english, i hope i made myself clear.

Good point.

What if it was made so that when the forum was upgraded it asked what the user that is upgrading it uses for an administration account on their old forum, then just make that use a founder...