How many phpbb users are programmers?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
stubbers

Re: How many phpbb users are programmers?

Post by stubbers »

PHP, HTML, and CSS unproffessionally at this stage. Going to start a bachelors in Information Technology : Security in 2008 and hopefully this year I'll learn a bit more PHP and how to get CSS to do a couple of things I can't get it to do yet.

Cheers,
Stubbers

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

stubbers wrote: [...]and how to get CSS to do a couple of things I can't get it to do yet.
Like getting it to work in Internet Explorer? :P

karlsemple

Post by karlsemple »

Highway of Life wrote:
stubbers wrote: [...]and how to get CSS to do a couple of things I can't get it to do yet.
Like getting it to work in Internet Explorer? :P

:lol:

CoS

Post by CoS »

Hi all. My first post (even though I've been watching this forum regularly for more than a year).

I admin a phpbb forum, but I'm not a programmer at all. Though I've learned a bit of PHP/MySQL reading code from phpbb mods and trying to modify them a bit to fit my needs.

That's one of the multiple reasons because I use phpbb. It's easy to use and setup for people like me that couldn't create a forum by themselves.

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Heh, you're not the only one... just look at the forum created by MySQL.com... hideous, absolutely hideous.
Why re-invent the wheel, when we have a nice, shiny white-wall to put on our cars... without any cost. :)

code reader

Post by code reader »

hol,
you may not like the one used by mysql.com, but just fyi, they use phorum, which was around before phpbb.
one may like it or not like it, but it is a very respectable bbs software.
at least in some respects (specifically, efficiency, performance and modularity) it knocks phpbb out of the water. it is also one of the few systems out there which support both threaded and flat views.

just an amusing OT here: i remember reading in an old interview with james atkinson, aka theFinn, aka the founder of the original phpbb, that the reason he created it was because he wanted a php-based bbs system for his wife's web-site, he was not familiar with vb (which, ttbomk, already existed and was still free at this point), and he did not like the only other available script he was aware of: .... you guessed it: phorum!

so it is somewhat ironic that we, at phpbb now preach against "inventing the wheel", especially when relating to a phorum based board...
additional reading: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=135543
hope you didn't find this bit of history boring.

have a good one.

drf

Post by drf »

I am an amateur programmer, I started some years ago because I had to build up a website for my friends and I found out that I liked PHP a lot, and then I discovered java and C++.
But I still wish i had started with C++.
Anon wrote: the phpBB team takes no responsibility for any damage, emotional, physical, spiritual or otherwise

itunes66

Post by itunes66 »

PHP, XCode (i do a little cocoa), Realbasic

if you want to count these then you can.... (i don't)

ECMAScript (official name for Javascript if you did not know)
(X)HTML
CSS
XML

and some others
Last edited by itunes66 on Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 things i like about you hmm.. ill have to get back to you on that one

theBlackDragon

Post by theBlackDragon »

Languages I "know":
  • ASP.Net with VB.Net (though my knowledge of this is getting out of date)
  • C++ (basics)
  • COBOL (no, I'm not that old, got this at school)
  • Common Lisp (basic, trying to get a better grip on this really neat language)
  • Emacs Lisp (hmm, Emacs :) )
  • Java (earns me my living)
  • JavaScript
  • Python (basic, mainly for scriping tasks)
  • Ruby (basic, also mainly scripting tasks)
  • Shellscript (bash/zsh)
I don't consider XML, (X)HTML, CSS and such programming languages because they don't contain logic (you need external technlogy like JavaScript to add logic to (X)HTML).

Klors

Post by Klors »

theBlackDragon wrote: I don't consider XML, (X)HTML, CSS and such programming languages because they don't contain logic (you need external technlogy like JavaScript to add logic to (X)HTML).

They're markup languages really, but they programme a browser to give an intended output. How would you classify XSLT?