Is Using "Newbie" Insulting?

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
TGI-ECT

Is Using "Newbie" Insulting?

Post by TGI-ECT »

I noticed the use of "newbie (noob)" in another thread and was curious what a definition on Wikipedia might look like.
A newbie is a newcomer to a particular field, the term being commonly used on the Internet, where it might refer to new, inexperienced, or ignorant users of a game, a newsgroup, an operating system or the Internet itself. The term is generally regarded as an insult, although in many cases more experienced/knowledgeable people use it in purposes of negative reinforcement, urging "newbies" to learn more about the field or area in question.

>
>truncated>>

In some contexts, such as on Usenet and in online multiplayer video games, newbies are discouraged from the group. Newbies may ask questions that seem extremely simple to experienced users, or disrupt normal order with their lack of skills or etiquette in a certain type of technology. For example, video game players may dislike newbies because they think newbies will hurt or bring down the collective efforts of a team game. Usenet posters may dislike newbies for bringing up off-topic discussion or violating netiquette. Noobs also ask questions with answers that can easily be found in the options menu of the game they are playing.

In some groups, the term "newbie" is used by experienced users to refer to any newcomer, whether the newcomer acts ignorantly or not. In this case, the regulars assert their position with a sort of hazing (sometimes called pwning in video games). Even if a newbie is actually a veteran of a particular game and has just started to play online, he may still be considered a newbie.

>
>truncated>>

Now this kind of surprises me because it seems to have taken on quite a negative connotation. I used "newbie" years ago in the army, but not in a negative sense. I mean, a newbie is a newbie -- period. Everybody is new at something at some point in time. Why should that take on an ugly side. I noticed that the definition up there even uses the term "insulting".

Just wondering if any of you have time to comment.

Not TGIF. Not TGIM. It's TGI "ECT". And it's pronounced "ekt".

Nicholas the Italian

Re: Is Using "Newbie" Insulting?

Post by Nicholas the Italian »

Like "ignorant" or "non-expert", I guess it may have negative meanings even if they're sometimes just right: you might ignore something or be not expert about something.
But if I say "you're talking like a newbie"... well, it depends on the context, I guess.

karlsemple

Post by karlsemple »

To me 'newbies' are people just starting out and inexperienced where a nubs, noobs are idiots who as well as inexperienced are thicker than your average concrete wall. I suppose as with a lot of words/phrases it depends on the context in which it is used :)

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

It depends on the context...
Newcomers are usually always referred to as "newbie" or "noob" for short, though, thinking about it... "noob" is usually used in more negative context than positive.
Many newcomers say, "I'm a Noob" or "I'm a Newbie" in reference to the fact that they may/are asking a simple or perhaps ignorant question. And many times, just the realization of this for the Vetts is enough to draw a kind answer or response. -- odd as it is. --
Either way, how it's used, or how often it's used in a negative context is an apparent indication of how well or how bad the vets as a whole treat the Newcomers that usually sets the quality standard of the/a Board.
The word itself is carried over (mostly) from online gamers, who in the past, have usually been the main members of many forums, and therefor, the language has translated over to forum usage widely.

Many boards actually give a default rank to newcomers who have less than 10 posts, called "Newbie"

Uchiha Nick

Post by Uchiha Nick »

Many boards actually give a default rank to newcomers who have less than 10 posts, called "Newbie"

some board softwares even have that as default in the install- meaning you don't have to create it.

still, karlsemple was quite right, sometimes it seems the 'noob' just doesn't want to see the truth, mostly ( in-game ) noobs think they're doing the right thing, yet in reality, they make the biggest errors imaginable. or you just have the really ignorant noobs. I will take Counterstrike as an example here, you have one side which needs to plant the bomb, and the other... well you know. so what happens? the bomb carrier is afk. alright, if it's just this round, drop the bomb.. but no they won't. BUT, they will not go into Spectator mode as well, leaving the bomb team at a big disadvantage.

then we have the 'newb', the bomb carrier who follows the team, and goes sitting in a corner ( camping ) without planting the bomb.

then we have a mix of these two, which I call the nub. this is for the other team though.. first I will make something to illustrate:

bombsite B | MID | counterteam spawn | bombsite A |

| bombteam spawn |
now, in normal cases, the counterteam just 'camps' at the bombsites. this is where the nubcake comes in. do note, that you can go anywhere from mid.

so what happens? the entire counterteam just goes A long, meaning they go from bombsite A to the bombteam spawn. now, if you are paying attention; which I'm sure you are; that leaves B open with NO defense at all. in other words: round won by bombteam. now, normally you would split the team in 2, but no.. the round after that, and the round after that ( etc. etc. ) they still go A long! and the tactic is being used over and over again.. even seasoned players who have played the game for years still do this. hence 'nub'

/rant

GAMER4EVER

Post by GAMER4EVER »

In my opinion, it depeneds on how you use it. If you say,
"It's okay that you don't understand - you're a noob! You'll learn eventually."
It's not insulting because you are using it in a non-insulting way.

But, if you say,
"omg, get the *beep* out of here u stupid n00b!!!111"
it takes on an obvious negative meaning.

Spiros-

Post by Spiros- »

I don't think it should be thought of as insulting. It has the same meaning as "inexperienced", and I am surprised that WikiPedia has not this meaning recorded.

I agree that calling someone "newbie", "noob", "n00b" or whatever they call it in video-games is indeed insulting, like the WikiPedia explanation says.

But it shouldn't considered offending in normal communities like here. If I am new to phpBB3, then, yes, I am a newbie. Users now having great experience, they were once newbies as well.

Handyman

Post by Handyman »

karlsemple wrote: To me 'newbies' are people just starting out and inexperienced where a nubs, noobs are idiots who as well as inexperienced are thicker than your average concrete wall. I suppose as with a lot of words/phrases it depends on the context in which it is used :)

This one is my favorite right here.
I don't mind Newbie, but I can't stand when someone gets called a noob or even worse n00b.
My phpBB3 Mods || My Mod Queue
Search Engine Friendly (SEO) URLs || Profile link on Avatar and/or Username || AJAX Chat
Display Posts Anywhere || CashMod || AJAX Quick Edit || AJAX Quick Reply

KazLee

Post by KazLee »

I dont like the pharse noob or any of the above, just because someone has a low post count it means that they are a noob? "Looks at some of the developers post counts" I think not :).

KL
Current Projects:
Developing phpBB3 Mods - Testing phpBB3

karlsemple

Post by karlsemple »

KazLee wrote: I dont like the pharse noob or any of the above, just because someone has a low post count it means that they are a noob? "Looks at some of the developers post counts" I think not :).

KL

It is not always based on post count, more often than not is refers to the users knowledge of a subject.