The future of phpBB(4)?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
cutaia

Re: The future of phpBB(4)?

Post by cutaia »

Three words: Thought recognition software.

Just plug in and conversations automatically take place. Then you can read them later on your own time.

andym8y

Post by andym8y »

There are certainly some interesting ideas out there, and the thing that brought me in to this topic was a search for RSS. Whilst I appreciate all of the work done by the phpBB team, surely RSS is an oversight?

I aim to install phpBB3 as soon as it is released as it includes solutions for all of the mods I've installed, except for the RSS feed! So will phpBB3.0.1 include the option to subscribe to the forum by e-mail and RSS? Currently I publish just one RSS feed, but with a growing membership and ever more diverse forums (fora?) not every member wants a generic feed.

Lastof

Post by Lastof »

andym8y wrote: There are certainly some interesting ideas out there, and the thing that brought me in to this topic was a search for RSS. Whilst I appreciate all of the work done by the phpBB team, surely RSS is an oversight?

I aim to install phpBB3 as soon as it is released as it includes solutions for all of the mods I've installed, except for the RSS feed! So will phpBB3.0.1 include the option to subscribe to the forum by e-mail and RSS? Currently I publish just one RSS feed, but with a growing membership and ever more diverse forums (fora?) not every member wants a generic feed.

I believe that the biggest that reason RSS wasn't included because back when they planned out the feature list barely anyone had hear of RSS. It's taken them much longer than they anticipated.

I can say for certain that it won't be in 3.0.1, since that will just be a bug fix version. phpBB policy is that minor revisions are feature frozen. The next new features will be added in 3.2, the next major update (which they swear won't take as long). Whether RSS will be included, we'll just have to wait and see.
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2008, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
SHS`: "Oooh Bertie, spank me with that casing stick, spank me spank me spaaaaannnnk mee!"

andym8y

Post by andym8y »

Thanks for the gen, if it is included in a later release, it will be interesting to see how it is implemented.