Custom BBCode - still missing a basic feature, tables.

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
Kokuei

Re: Custom BBCode - still missing a basic feature, tables.

Post by Kokuei »

Well fanboi.

I am verry well aware of what tables are and what their sole purpose is, I also know that they are the only way to show tabular data (except for images, but thats just stupid). I also fully agree that alot of people using forums don't know how to use the tables, but that is just another point for a more simple way to use it.
Uchiha Nick wrote: but, as someone suggested, you can of course make them through the custom bbcode, though that'll guarantee to not work.

[table]
[td]
[tr]w00t! a column Very Happy[/tr
[th]this.. coold Very Happy[/th]
[/td]
[/table]

do note that I put the [/tr there on purpose. people will forget this anyway, but the other ones will be parsed. meaning the page will get screwed up. and then the tag mixing, that will obviously happen. I among others really do not see this working..

I suggest you try out you'r own code before making statements ;) , this code will in no way screw up pages in Olympus. It will of course not parse correctly into a table either.

So i will consider this just what it is, a ranting. :)

Uchiha Nick

Post by Uchiha Nick »

omg.. that last part, I hope you didn't meant it, did you? of COURSE it won't screw up Olympus ;x ever heard of htmlentities() and or htmlspecialchars() ( or some other one, don't know which Olympus uses )

I did forget to add that I planted that code like that on purpose.

Code: Select all

<table>
 <th>
  <td>cell</td>
  <td>cell</td>
 </th>
 <tr>
  <td>cell</td>
  <td>cell</td>
 </tr>
 <tr>
  <td>cell</td>
  <td>cell</td>
 </tr>
</table>
does the above code make you proud? if so, can I have a cookie?

I can write a complete code here and it still won't be executed.. gharr

oh, just make that into your custom bbcode and check it out :)

( P.S. telling me to learn to code.. oh boy )

Kokuei

Post by Kokuei »

Uchiha Nick wrote: omg.. that last part, I hope you didn't meant it, did you? of COURSE it won't screw up Olympus ;x ever heard of htmlentities() and or htmlspecialchars() ( or some other one, don't know which Olympus uses )

Nope, never heard of it. I'm not and have never said I was a coder... so that sorts out you'r last comment. ;)

The code you provided was interesting, it actually grabs the internal Olympus theme header i would think (what i would call screwing up the pages/posting). Seems like the Custom BBCode engine have quite some time to go.

I still don't see you'r point in posting code showing that a table solution with custom BBCode won't work, pointig out that what earlier posters claiming to be the most viable solution wont work. Dosen't that add even more weight to my agrument of a "hard-coded" BBCode table option?

Uchiha Nick

Post by Uchiha Nick »

that's if you would use the custom bbcode..

then, before you start spouting things I suggest you at least *try* em out. from the way I posted it it would seem obvious the code would screw up. now, if the BBCode for tables would have been installed, that table would parse. why? because it looks for the keys ( [td] [/td] for example ) and then it simply changes it. ( <td> </td> ) now, it wouldn't look for the other tags. meaning: you need to build in a uber controller for tables. of which no one will probably be willing to create, since there is a high probability it will be screwable. table's are used for organizing, the other bbcode are NOT used for organizing

and since this topic has had it's highlight, you can conclude a few things:

1. majority, probably more then 95% do not need this
2. you can code it yourself since you want it, not us
3. wait for a possible phpBB2 mod upgrade of the one you are using

Kokuei

Post by Kokuei »

Uchiha Nick wrote: and since this topic has had it's highlight, you can conclude a few things:

2. I have no intention of creating anything. This is a viewpoint discussion, nothing more, nothing less. Did you miss that in my first post?
4. there is no working way to create tables in phpBB3

PS. I'll try not to get into details but wtf is the list used for if not organizing? It's really just a subset of a table when you look at it. DS.

Uchiha Nick

Post by Uchiha Nick »

that listing was just some ranting code

2. but you are hinting to someone to make it for you, else you would have dropped this a long time ago
3. duh...

Kokuei

Post by Kokuei »

Uchiha Nick wrote: that listing was just some ranting code

2. but you are hinting to someone to make it for you, else you would have dropped this a long time ago
3. duh...

We are getting off-topic here but, no, this was nerver a request for anything. Just a discussion, i wrote that plainly in my third post.

But yes, this discussion is over since neither you or I contribute to the topic now. Unless someone else continiues it.

MSR

Post by MSR »

Uchiha Nick wrote:that's if you would use the custom bbcode..

Sorry, but I belong to the minority :( and I tried to code it myself but it hasn't worked at all.

I am the webmaster of a bowling club and if you know a better way to show the results of a match as within a table please let me know.