spamming on members list

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Silkrooster

spamming on members list

Post by Silkrooster »

Sorry if this has been mentioned before. I tried search and it did not find anything. My question is does version 3 offer a way to stop spammers from adding their web pages to their profile. If there was a way to disable that field or to enble it after a certain time period. I beleive it would help stop some of the spammers I am getting now with version 2 of phpbb.
Silk

BondGamer

Re: spamming on members list

Post by BondGamer »

I just looked throughout the ACP and could not find any options related to activating/disabling/restricting the use of set profile fields such as for websites.

Silkrooster

Post by Silkrooster »

Ok thanks, I guess this should go on the wish list for the next version. I am getting up 5 new members per day. They never post, just register with their webpage listed. If they would post at least I could get their ip address. So for now I just remove them.
I am trying to keep my site family oriented so the adult web links are a no go.
Silk

Case

Post by Case »

http://www.phpbbhacks.com/download/6568

I installed that after I got tired of the same problem. Just means they can register but the website field is hidden.

Something similar will probably come out for Olympus.

Kevin Clark
Support Team
Support Team

Post by Kevin Clark »

Don't forget that phpBB3 has much better captcha so it should stop the bots from signing up in the first place.

And things like the custom registration fields mean you can add things that only a human would know the answer to.

cwbullet

I agree.

Post by cwbullet »

This is a problem that should be address in the next version. I get the same thing 3-5 new members a day as spam. I have also installed that hack and it does not stop it, but it does stop them from reaping the benefit.

RBH

Post by RBH »

My 2.x board has this problem too. I resorted to simply running a script now and then that deletes any member with fewer than 10 posts and a URL in their profile (they're warned about this in the T&C acceptance page). Works well enough.

Ectoman

Post by Ectoman »

RBH wrote: My 2.x board has this problem too. I resorted to simply running a script now and then that deletes any member with fewer than 10 posts and a URL in their profile (they're warned about this in the T&C acceptance page). Works well enough.

I tend to go through an delete people with webpages and zero posts.. or if they are inactive. Using phpMyadmin its pretty easy, you can quickly spot a spammer every time via the website field.

Kokoyaya

Post by Kokoyaya »

Now, we can activate them via a link in the notification e-mail. Would it also be possible to unactivate them in the same way so they could be purged every x days?

ecwpa

Post by ecwpa »

about the member list, while testing olimpus beta4 noticed that if i ban an user, users can still see him listed on memberlist, also noticed inactiv users are not listed in member list, so i think banned users would be de-activated for not listing them
Slightly better English than it was in 2005, still improving :D