What's next?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Ectoman

Re: What's next?

Post by Ectoman »

code reader wrote: a bug-free code is as close to oxymoron as you can get.

Code: Select all

<?php echo "Hello World!"; ?>

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Ectoman wrote:

Darn you! Ecto! You beat me too it!!! ;) :P

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Can we leave the theoretical jibber-jabber out of it (or at least make it not the single purpose of a post) and read "acceptably low level of bugs" whenever someone dares to exclaim "bug free"? ;)
Can you imagine the next version to be RC1 without a testing phase for the updater based on Beta release ? - Personally, I can not.

Well, that's what they have always been saying, I'm sure the updater is getting some testing and I think it's a much more controleable test than the board itself, so it may not need the kind of wide exposure that the board itself is getting ATM, to get it at an RC-able level.

Anyway, at the end of the day it's just a matter of labels, and of support policy. Maybe it turns out that the updater is a heaping pile of bug doo after the first RC, and they release RC2 two weeks later with a much improved updater.

So, to answer your question: yes, I can imagine. But I can also imagine that you turn out to be right and they decide to do another beta to get the stuff they have been "keeping from us" some wider exposure before going RC.

wintermute

Post by wintermute »

binside wrote: The big question for me is... Did the devs actually finish all the code or there are still unfinished parts.

I wonder that, too... I guess all the code and features are finished and now it is fine tuning, tweaking, testing and bug fixing phase. Am I right?
Greetings to everyone...

Tienchen

Post by Tienchen »

I think, Acyd Burn said some days ago in the bug tracker to naderman that there must be a new function included and this is neccessary blabla. I don't have the whole context in mind, but I think, it was very clear, that after beta3 the code was "frozen", only bug, security, design fixes and so on are made. :D
I don't like these cold, precise, perfect people, who, in order not to speak wrong, never speak at all, and in order not to do wrong, never do anything. (Henry Ward Beecher)
Die Stifthelden

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

What he said :) All the talk about unfinished code before beta 3 was because they had to re-implement parts of the system for UTF-8.

John Hjorth

Post by John Hjorth »

Exactly - it has to be read in it's context - also in here 13th October 2006 :

"Works on the utf8 front are not finished yet - there is still one component missing which will be hopefully finished by the weekend. Of course it is always nice if some people test out the CVS (or the snapshots) code to report any issues - this becomes especially important because of the implications of using only one encoding, we need as much different configurations as we can get - and this is only possible with people actually testing out cvs code (even if they need to completely reinstall from snapshot to snapshot - it is a lot of work and we really appreciate it)."

John Hjorth

Post by John Hjorth »

As per Beta 3 release announcement :

"Missing elements

Within the beta packages we did not include the conversion tool for converting phpBB 2.0.x (and other packages) to phpBB 3.0.x. It is most likely included within the first Release Candidate. "

I do not see it in the latest CVS snapshot. Perhaps it exists, but it is not commited to the CVS.

Yoda_IRC

Post by Yoda_IRC »

Ectoman wrote:

I may have just found a bug in that.
It may not work on all setups, what if 'echo' is in the list of disabled functions in php.ini?

code reader

Post by code reader »

Highway of Life wrote:
Ectoman wrote:

Darn you! Ecto! You beat me too it!!! ;) :P
in addition to the bug in the code (missing newline) you have a bug in the documentations (painted).

on a more serious note:
it really does seem that the testers were slacking (we are doing slightly better now). between the release of beta-2 and the release of beta-3 there were roughly 3 months, but in the last half of this period bug reports have slowed down to a trickle, and, as far as i could tell, most of the serious bug reports were made using the development ("cvs") version rather than the beta itself.
i am not sure what conclusion one could draw from this observation, but my view is that it means more and shorter beta-cycles would have worked better.
i think it would be best if the developers will release a new beta as soon as the amount and quality of bug reports begin to diminish, especially if the more serious reports relate to the development code rather than the beta package.

and to us, testers i say: if you want to see this thing out as quickly and as cleanly as possible, test, test and test.
try to do stupid things, and see that the system is robust in spotting the user's mistakes, and is giving reasonable error messages. try to do complex things. validate the pages using validation tools. read the text messages, looking for misspells, discrepancies, ambiguous phrasing, and plain old mistakes.
when you write bug reports, make sure you give clear and sufficient reproduction direction. test it in different environment.
when a developer closes a bug you reported with a "fixed", try to load the new code and verify the fix.
etc. etc. etc.

looking at the bug tracker and cheering every time the number goes down is counter productive. our goal should be to fill the thing as much as we can, while the developer's goal is to empty it as fast as they can. low numbers on the tracker only means we don't do our part as well as we should.

just my 2c.