PhpBB 3 portals

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Aden

Re: PhpBB 3 portals

Post by Aden »

Very nice idea. And your portal looks great.

One QUestion though:

"How easy is it to add all of the portal stuff to a completely new style?"

Just a thought

Michaelo

Post by Michaelo »

I would say very easy... There are basically two types of styles, those that use complex images to create a nice effect and those that rely on the css classes to set colour, borders etc.... Either way it's a matter of producing the images and adding to css class for one, or editing a given css the other.
Every block (left, right or center) simply uses a header and footer so one you have designed the header and footer all the design is dome... The header and footer code is added to each block but I was hoping to use something along the lines of...

<!-- INCLUDE BLOCK_HEADER_LEFT -->{BLOCK_NAME}<!-- INCLUDE BLOCK_HEADER_RIGHT>
html code here...
<!-- INCLUDE BLOCK_FOOTER -->

But recursive calls to the same file won't work so I will find a workaround... One other feature of phpBB3 is the facility to include code segments in your file as with the birthday or who's on line code. In my files I simple separate any information that is reused and create its own file which I can then include in any blocks. This has one other nice bonus, lets say the code for who's on line is modified (in the beta core)... I don't have to search every file and do the edits I do it in one file only... save a lot of time considering...

Kiss also has some tools for developing blocks and themes but over time I have neglected these. I hope to update them some day soon... Attached is a image of the block builder...

Mike
Attachments
kiss_tools.jpg
(184.71 KiB) Downloaded 1407 times
Mods: Forum Icons Enhancement, Kiss Portal Engine
Links:
Kiss Portal Engine (dev site) Stargate Portal (archive site) ...
Styles: Technika

Aden

Post by Aden »

Also a quick question off topic:

Have you managed to create me an account yet?

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Aden, as long as you keep things in the CSS (instead of hard-coded) it's not difficult at all to apply it to another style, mostly just CSS changes...

Even for images, in every possible opportunity, if you specify image backgrounds in CSS, that makes elements very cross-style compatible...

However, in the case of a Portal, each style that is used must adapt to incorporate the portal.

Ectoman

Post by Ectoman »

I wish the CSS file didn't alter the margin on the "TD" table attribute. It makes it harder to put my own design around the forum, but while keeping the table's in olympus looking good.

I am loving the templateing system otherwise.

I think I am going to try and convert my whole site over to the DBAL system with templates.
Attachments
phpbb_design.jpg
(97.29 KiB) Downloaded 1368 times

Highway of Life

I don't understand, Ecto... it should be fairly simple to adjust in the Stylesheet... can you explain further?

Ectoman

Post by Ectoman »

Highway of Life wrote: I don't understand, Ecto... it should be fairly simple to adjust in the Stylesheet... can you explain further?

The Olympus stylesheet has a margin value of 2 for all "TD" (the html table designation for a cell). I have to change this to "0" in order for my site to look normal while implimenting the Olympus stylesheet in my site.. but it makes the forums look a little bit different if you remove that CSS attribute.

Highway of Life

Okay, well... just change...

Code: Select all

td {
	padding: 2px;
}
To

Code: Select all

.tablebg td {
	padding: 2px;
}

Ectoman

Post by Ectoman »

Is that all it needs? Is class="tablebg" called for every table that requires that margin?

Thanks for the help BTW.

nwbasser

Post by nwbasser »

I took a look at the test portal pages. They all look great!!!
Good job guys! A question for you modders. How hard would it be to put a Gallery2 block into one of these?