Can i convert

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
siddharth.smart

Can i convert

Post by siddharth.smart »

Can I convert my phpbb 2.021 to phpbb 3 ? If so then how plzz tell.

Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader

Re: Can i convert

Post by Paul »

If the RC1 is released, yes, before, no.

shiyiming

Post by shiyiming »

But how?
Has the convertor been released? Where can I downloand it?

xelloss

Post by xelloss »

Only phpBB 3.0 Beta2 was released.

The RC1 is in progress.
I love [Olympus] :D

Raimon
Former Team Member

Post by Raimon »

shiyiming wrote: But how?
Has the convertor been released? Where can I downloand it?

Just like paulus have said,
With the RC1 realese there wil be a upergrade script to convert the phpBB 2.0.XX to phpBB3 software.
In this stadium there no realese for public, and you can not download it yet.

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

I thought it was that RC1 was the earliest point where it would be released, and that there was not yet any guarantee that this would happen. Did I miss a change in the plans?
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

Paul

Post by Paul »

Martin Blank wrote: I thought it was that RC1 was the earliest point where it would be released, and that there was not yet any guarantee that this would happen. Did I miss a change in the plans?

So far I know they will release the convert script with RC1.

Ectoman

Post by Ectoman »

They can also gaurentee there will be an updater script from phpbb 2.0.2X to Olympus.

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Martin Blank wrote: I thought it was that RC1 was the earliest point where it would be released, and that there was not yet any guarantee that this would happen. Did I miss a change in the plans?

Hmm... Well, it's really about the distinction between an upgrade path from one 3.0 to another, and from 2.0.x to 3.0, isn't it.

I've always took this quote from the latest beta announcement:
A full update path will be provided beginning with the Release Candidates.

to mean that there will be an upgrade path from one release candidate to the next, and also from existing 2.0.x installations. Anything else (e.g., just from one RC to the next but not from 2.0.x, or just from a 2.0.x. to the current RC, but not from the last RC) I wouldn't consider a "full" update path, but rather a partial update path :)

code reader

Post by code reader »

i dont think "guarantee" is the right term in this circumstances. i think it makes more sense to talk about "intentions".

this issue was discussed many many times, and the last time i read decleration of intentions, it was actually formulated almost, but not quite, in the opposite way, ie acyd claimed that rc1 is the "latest" a conversion path will be made public, not the "earliest".
since then, graham indicated that it is highly unlikely he will release the converter before the first rc, although he did not rule the possibility entirely. at least in any post i have read. it is possible that i too have missed something.
personally, i think it will not be the best thing to do to wait until the rc for the release of the converter.
iiuc, the rationale for this is to discourage people from using the beta version for a live system. otoh, this causes difficulties for people who wish to test with large ammounts of data, as they need to generate this data (users and posts) artifically, instead of using readily existing real data.
imo, the best course of action is to release the converter now, but not to package it in any way, so only those with enough knowledge to check it out of cvs and install it manually will be able to use it. you can easilly add some "die if used with live system" lines that require manual edit to remove, just like olympus itself had until the first beta.
i also think that providing an upgrade script from beta-2 to beta-3 will help the beta process. many good testers remained for too long with beta-1 after beta-2 was released because such a script from 1 to 2 was not available, and were lost to the project as testers. going from 2 to 3 without upgrade path will likely have similar effect. the testers are investing time and effort shaping their test boards this way and that, adding custom profile fields, custom bbcode, creating all kinds of users, forums, posts, permissions etc., having to start from scratch with every beta release is a set-back, and many good testers are very hesitant to move to the next level. it also means beginning with a miniscule data set every time.