Some Captcha's are far too easy

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Cheater512

Re: Some Captcha's are far too easy

Post by Cheater512 »

agent00shoe wrote: I think they're avoiding flash as much as possible because not everyone has/uses flash in their browsers.

Say hello to flare, my friendly flash decompiler. :P
Open source, able to get past basically all obfustication and it is run via command line which means bots can use it easily.
VxJasonxV wrote: I have a few short quips to add in:
1) Mobile users
2) text-mode browsers
3) Alternative OS users with hella compatibility issues

1) Who registers on forums using their phone? :P
2) I dont know any reason why someone would register using links unless they were blind. I use links a lot (relatively) and I've never registered on a forum with it.
3) What decent OS doesnt have flash?

DeathRay2K

Post by DeathRay2K »

What about simple having several lines of text, and telling the user (randomly) which line to type in?

agent00shoe

Post by agent00shoe »

DeathRay2K wrote: What about simple having several lines of text, and telling the user (randomly) which line to type in?

If you offer multiple choice, it greatly increases the chance that a bot will guess the right answer.

DeathRay2K

Post by DeathRay2K »

Why is the chance of the bot figuring out and correctly choosing 1 of, say, 5 possibilities greater than the chance of the bot figuring out a single possibility? :?

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

How about a CAPTCHA Generated option of 5. :D
Make it even more difficult for a bot.

I'm willing to try and create something to use in Flash, if anybody is interested in assisting me, then If Cheater would be willing, I would like to see him create a bot to break it.

agent00shoe

Post by agent00shoe »

DeathRay2K wrote: Why is the chance of the bot figuring out and correctly choosing 1 of, say, 5 possibilities greater than the chance of the bot figuring out a single possibility? :?

1 out of 5 = 20% chance of guessing correctly every time.

Requiring a blank text box to have the answer filled in leaves a virtually infinite number of possible guesses.

gwkampfengerl

Post by gwkampfengerl »

would it be possible to generate a little math example via those graphics. something like
10 - 4 or 4 + 6 or 2*6 ?

wouldn't this help preventing bots from spamming or registering?

agent00shoe

Post by agent00shoe »

Someone else pointed out that Google handles simple math questions. Bots could easily query them for the answer. :? Google sucks

chet

Post by chet »

It could be any question, with no multiple choice answer. Type the answer in the box.

"three plus three" (answer six)
"birds build" (answer nests)

Perhaps an interface where the site manager could add their own questions.
A sailing site might ask "steering stick" (answer tiller)
A math site might ask "pi to the thirteenth decimal" (answer, well, I don't know the answer)

Full text challenges that require the user to supply a specific answer with local customization available.

muhaidib

Post by muhaidib »

i like the flash idea,,,