Predicting Beta 3 release today!

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Ectoman

Re: Predicting Beta 3 release today!

Post by Ectoman »

APTX wrote: I wonder how hard it will be to upgrade from these very heavily modified phpBB versions...

It should only be a few minutes, as long as you are upgraded to the latest phpBB v2.

harmlessgoat22

Post by harmlessgoat22 »

Ectoman wrote: It should only be a few minutes, as long as you are upgraded to the latest phpBB v2.

I hope your kidding Ectoman. Dude, if you have tons of MOD's that effect the database, it's going to take a long time, unless you use the REAL upgrade script (the one that is not made by phpBB team and will upgrade most, if not all MOD's), but that still might take a while to get it right. Plus, if you have MOD's that aren't features in pB3, you still are going to have to install the new version (if there is one) on phpBB3. The one that isn't made by pB team is, I believe, only going to upgrade MOD's that are now built in features of pB3.
alphaPORTAL
phpBB3 Integration MOD:
Create Pages in phpBB3
Portal
Many Modules including Login, Welcome, Search, Top Posters, Online Now, Menu, Offsite Links, and more

muse-ic

Post by muse-ic »

lol - these topics make me smile

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

APTX wrote: I wonder how hard it will be to upgrade from these very heavily modified phpBB versions...

Well, if you kept up with our topic on STG, where 6 people were working every day to transfer over our heavily modified phpBB versions. (no vanilla here), it took 6 people several weeks to complete it.
And it was no easy task, let me tell you.

If you have a basic phpBB2 install... lucky you.

A few minutes is a joke... even for a basic vanilla transfer.

juul

Post by juul »

Highway of Life wrote:

Well, if you kept up with our topic on STG, where 6 people were working every day to transfer over our heavily modified phpBB versions. (no vanilla here), it took 6 people several weeks to complete it.
And it was no easy task, let me tell you.

If you have a basic phpBB2 install... lucky you.

A few minutes is a joke... even for a basic vanilla transfer.

I can't wait to the RC1, but i have a little question. Does the RC 1 has a script to upgrade from phpbb 2.1.21 tot phpbb 3 Rc1?

NNO-Stephen

Post by NNO-Stephen »

RC1 will have an upgrade script to go from 2.0.21 (or latest release at that time) to phpBB 3.0rc1. yes.

Ectoman

Post by Ectoman »

How will upgrading a heavily modified board be any different from a non-modified board?

You'll loose all your mods... SURE.... but it won't take any longer!

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

IF you have a board without a Modified database, it won't be any different.

In my case, I installed PCP, CH MOD and other that heavily modified the database... and let's just say everything wasn't so smooth.
But you also have to build a script for ALL of the tables you would want transferred over...
It's really pretty in-depth if you get into it.

cutaia

Post by cutaia »

That reminds me...I recently converted my heavily modded forum to a vanilla 2.0.19. But my database is obviously still different.

Does anything exist that can re-vanilla-ize my database while keeping all the post/user/board/etc.. information? (Whether it be an automatic script or a tutorial.)

I want to know because I really do want to start "fresh" when we move over to 3.0.

muse-ic

Post by muse-ic »

^ i have always kept my board vanilla for this reason...hope you get it sorted