custom forum images

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
muhaidib

Re: custom forum images

Post by muhaidib »

thanx guys for all of ur help,,, i guess we can't change the images for both read and unread, maybe in the RC it will be an option

thanx again

muse-ic

Post by muse-ic »

muhaidib wrote: thanx guys for all of ur help,,, i guess we can't change the images for both read and unread, maybe in the RC it will be an option

thanx again

i really hope it will be an option in the next beta/rc as it is the only thing my test users moan about - they don't like having to click the "view new posts" link - they prefer to see immediately.

whether or not it will be 'added' is doubtful as it is 'feature frozen' - is this classed as a feature?!

asmith3006

Post by asmith3006 »

Yes. So it wont be added. Not sure what you're on about to be honest.... don't the icons change colour on here when you have unread posts or not? They do for me...

muse-ic

Post by muse-ic »

^ they do on here...but they don't use custom forum images on here

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

More confusion :) What this thread is about is using different images for different forums. You could still have "custom" images in the sense that you can change the default subsilver images for your own image set, but you'd still have the same image for each forum. When you choose to have a special image for a particular forum, you will no longer have it change for read/unread status.

Your take on whether this should be considered a bug may vary, but considering it'd be a very noticeable bug, I expect this to be a conscious design choice on the developer's part.

cutaia

Post by cutaia »

I've read this thread, and now I'm confused. So, if you choose to use custom images...they will no longer change to indicate which threads contain new posts and which don't?

What's the purpose of a forum that doesn't tell you what's new? Doesn't that just leave you clicking aimlessly hoping each thread will have something new?

That sounds incredibly inconvenient, and if that is a conscious design choice, it sounds like a misguided one.

(Or am I reading this entirely wrong?)

aquarelle

Post by aquarelle »

I guess you must be talking about the situation where you've elected to use a different style for one forum than with the others. I haven't tried that feature yet, but if it is true that when it is implemented there is no ability to have a full set of images just like any other style, that is totally hosed. :|

Or maybe you are talking about the forum icon, which I have not used either, but it is not designed to be a functional flag of any sort anyway, is it? I thought it was to be purely decoration from the index point of view to distinguish various forums.
~aquarelle

cutaia

Post by cutaia »

I thought we were talking about these images: Image Image

Lastof

Post by Lastof »

Ok, it seems I need to clarify what we are talking about.

We are talking about the custom image that can be set to show instead of the ones cutaia just posted by going ACP => Forums => Hit Image next to forum you want it on => Forum Settings => Forum Image: => URL for image.

When one is set, it replaces the Image and the Image. The issue is that there is not simple way to have the image change depending on whether there are new posts present or not. (You would either have to actually reference a php file that checked in the database whether there were any unread posts, or mess about with the templates, using if statements, and hence not use the feature).
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2008, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
SHS`: "Oooh Bertie, spank me with that casing stick, spank me spank me spaaaaannnnk mee!"

muse-ic

Post by muse-ic »

any developers help us on this?