The future of phpBB(4)?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
jimmygoon

The future of phpBB(4)?

Post by jimmygoon »

So this is "General Discussion"... Whats the chances of phpbb4 or later 3 releases having some of the following features:
- built in mod system (no more editing files)
- built in autoupdater (like SMF has)

just random thoughts that I think would really make a good showing for phpbb.... tahnks for reading

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Re: The future of phpBB(4)?

Post by Highway of Life »

1) Doubtful.
there are just too many variables to consider, but I have thought of this, I have not thought of a good way to implement it, as each MOD could modify the code that another mod would have to find... but you never know.

2) Possible, but I would assume that it would actually be a "version checker" instead.

;)

EvilNui

Post by EvilNui »

1) I think the Woltlab Burning Board people want to implement something like that, so maybe we can learn from them, if they actually manage to do that :P

2) The current update for smf RC2 wants to be installed manually.

Acyd Burn

Post by Acyd Burn »

1) We were the very first who had this through EasyMod.
2) A version checker and file update will be provided with 3.0.x.

d4rkst4r123

Post by d4rkst4r123 »

phpbb4? lol, maybe in your grand-childrens lifetime.

Joablen

Post by Joablen »

dont be so sure... i still remember when phpbb2 came out... but with all the upgrades that phpbb3 has... i dont know if there will be anything left to add :P

jimmygoon

Post by jimmygoon »

Hmm... Thats a shame. I was actually trying to think of good ways of doing both the updates and the mods and it just doesn't work out... the mods thing is impossible... I guess you make a new spec for mods but they wouldn't be very powerful at all...

Oh well... Wishful thinking (never/always) hurts...

cutaia

Post by cutaia »

The mod thing wouldn't be impossible. You'd pretty much just have to make an easy-mod type program come standard. Then require that all mods use the format that the program uses.

You can also make the program check all files that need to be changed first, to make sure that another mod hasn't already changed something a new mod needs to change. If it finds a conflict, then the program would inform you that "this mod needs to be installed manually."

That way, people like me who want to install a hundred different mods will have to install some manually (Like we already do). But casual forum admins who only want to add one or two things but don't know how to mod, would now have the option.

Joablen

Post by Joablen »

yeah, cutaita is right... and, if it was allready done by easyMOD then lets take a look at the codes and update them to phpbb3

itunes66

Post by itunes66 »

yeah, and when you have to install it manually, it could give a link to the templates ModX file for manual installation ;)
2 things i like about you hmm.. ill have to get back to you on that one