And I wait for...

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
VotephpBB

And I wait for...

Post by VotephpBB »

Never ending story?

Thank you to all (acydburn, psotfx, naderman, ludovic_arnaud, davidmj,
grahamje, subblue, bartvb, thefinn, SHS, Unknown) , which put your spare
time into the development of phpBB and Olympus.
phpBB3 is since 2003 in development and in last months it,
particularly also Acyd very, very much on it worked.

It is depressing, if one tests something and then new errors is announced again.
It would have been better, if phpbb only had supported one data base - but however error free.
For what is a Beta2 to be good, if not new tools (e.g. MODX) is inserted?
The Beta2 corresponds the CSV. I do not see advantages in this procedure.

Question: Why doesn't MODx come?
Question: Why doesn't the new Style come?
Question: Why doesn't databaseconverter come?
The users could plan her forum now.

Which opinion have you over it?
Again thanks to the developers/Admins/Mods...!

Stefft

Re: And I wait for...

Post by Stefft »

VotephpBB wrote: Question: Why doesn't MODx come?
Question: Why doesn't the new Style come?
Question: Why doesn't databaseconverter come?
The users could plan her forum now.

Which opinion have you over it?
Again thanks to the developers/Admins/Mods...!

Maybe you could read some topics around here. These questions are asked here very very much.

Only about that MODx thing, it's already there, it's only a "standard" not something you can't add. :?:

VotephpBB

Post by VotephpBB »

Thanks for the response!

Yes.
I read some.
I think that the people are frustrated and therefore always the same questions….
Beautiful boards with many functions have other user and we would like it also!

stubbers

Post by stubbers »

As has been said before... If you are not completely satisfied with phpBB, go find something you are satisfied with... And if you can't find anything, go make your own board...
VotephpBB wrote: It is depressing, if one tests something and then new errors is announced again.

That's the idea of the beta, to iron out the errors...
VotephpBB wrote: For what is a Beta2 to be good, if not new tools (e.g. MODX) is inserted?
The Beta2 corresponds the CSV. I do not see advantages in this procedure.

The Beta2 will simply be an update (if it does come, it all depends on bugs etc...) for those who don't keep up with the CVS. The feature list IS finalised, and therefore nothing will be added (unless the devs think it is urgent)...
VotephpBB wrote: Question: Why doesn't MODx come?

It is here... Irrelevant...
VotephpBB wrote: Question: Why doesn't the new Style come?

Read topics, search new style, won't be released until RC1
VotephpBB wrote: Question: Why doesn't databaseconverter come?

To prevent idiots who have no idea what they are doing from trying to use phpBB 3.0 Beta 1 in a live environment. It is unsupported and an upgrade path to final may not be provided!

And that is my opinion...

Cheers,
Stubbers

asmith3006

Post by asmith3006 »

stubbers wrote: And that is my opinion...
Actually I think they're all facts.

espenhh

Post by espenhh »

stubbers wrote:
VotephpBB wrote: Question: Why doesn't the new Style come?

Read topics, search new style, won't be released until RC1
err, not before Gold... ;)
Espen

(Huge thanks to the phpBB-developers!!!)

Need Norwegian support????

VotephpBB

Post by VotephpBB »

stubbers wrote: ...To prevent idiots who have no idea what...

We have sufficient idiots in our world. You can not protect all ;).
If a converter were available now, you could already check, where there are difficulties.
Changing a large forum needs time and if you have at the beginning many informations and programs are available, you can pre-plan it better. You could already check, where there are difficulties.

certainly it is a Betaversion.
A Betaterster is an adult humans.
If someone tests somewhat, then it is not stupid.
All finished program sections can be made available in a beta version.
Reasons I called already above.

Yawnster

Post by Yawnster »

I think your conception of the release cycle is flawed, admittedly companies like Microsoft and Google havent helped much as they tend to just skip the RC (Release Candidate) stages.. I will do a quick run down of what a true release cycle is..

Dev - Development, no support, probably doesnt work.
Alpha - Basically, in-house testing by developers and selected others.
Beta - Usually the start of Public Bug Reporting.. Still not a finished product.. As the BETA versions increment a more finished product will emerge as features are added.
RC - A virtually finished product, the words 'Release Candidate' imply that it could be released in this version, as there is no real bugs left in the code.
Final - They will take one of the RC version and change it to x.x.0

Cycle is complete..

I think that you are expecting a fully featured version of the software, you use GMail? Windows Live Messenger? Heck they are both in Beta officially, (Well I think they both still are), But they are feature complete and stable enough to use everyday, just because phpBB3.x B1 isnt its not the end of the world..

As for the Converter, whats the point of converting now when a few of the features are not complete and there are still a fair few bugs int he code just makes it harder for yourself at a later date.. I mean are your users actually complaining that they are missing these features? Then try the MODs page, got all of them in there...

Enjoy.. Yawnster

PS.. I have been testing the CVS copy for a number of years now, and at present I am 16 and 11months.. So not all BETA testers are adults..

VotephpBB

Post by VotephpBB »

The Devphase til Finaphase are indispensable.
That is not the point. If e.g. a converter is finished however for a long time, then it can be made available.
I congratulate that you are still so young! :)

*EDIT*
I placed only questions. I reserve myself!

Yawnster

Post by Yawnster »

I think oyu are missing the point, whats the point in converting a forum that will need major updates at a later date, the converter would also have to be updated to contain new features if released now.. As if you want to use it now, then the upgrade path from there on.. there will be others that want to convert when the new features are in, it makes more work for the developers..

Personalyl I can see where you are coming from, but exactly what exactly do you have to do that is so important that you cannot do it on 2.x for another few months..???

Yawnster