Warning users, does it have any sense ?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Re: Warning users, does it have any sense ?

Post by Highway of Life »

If they had endless valid emails, then they could just continue creating accounts... but you can ban people based on IP, email, or username. Or any combination of the three... so that is really not an issue.

APTX

Post by APTX »

Endless valid emails shouldn't be a problem... there is no way of banning someone permanantly but the banning process is usually faster than the process of evading bans so the attacker might give up first. :P
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!

Highway of Life
Location: I'd love to change the World, but they won't give me the Source Code

Post by Highway of Life »

Hmm... there is a setting for "permanent ban", but I assume you mean the person, and not the screenname, IP, or email.
And yes, you can never really ban the person completely.

USUALLY if a person is banned, they get mad and never want to come back to the site anyways... unless they are just persistant, the site has something they want, or just want to cause trouble.

d4rkst4r123

Post by d4rkst4r123 »

My idea here is probably way in over my head but here it goes...

You could like a "Criminal Record" of everyone. And keep a record of who does what thats wrong. And say a user does so many violations, a PM would be sent to a moderator telling the moderator that user has x ammount of warnings and should be banned.

stubbers

Post by stubbers »

d4rkst4r123 wrote: My idea here is probably way in over my head but here it goes...

You could like a "Criminal Record" of everyone. And keep a record of who does what thats wrong. And say a user does so many violations, a PM would be sent to a moderator telling the moderator that user has x ammount of warnings and should be banned.

Are you talking for the one board or a phpBB wide blacklist of a particular user???

The one board is the idea of the Warnings, if a mod notices a user doing something stupid he warns the user and can check other warnings on the user before warning the user. Then an admin can take a look at the warnings and if one user has too many can ban them.

However if you are talking phpBB wide, it would be too hard to track... Plus once you link all the forums running phpBB3.0 into one database you end up with some VERY VERY interesting privacy 'violations'...

Cheers,
Stubbers

balding_ape

Post by balding_ape »

Redscape wrote: I find the whole "warning" system dubious at best. What point is there in banning a member when that person can simply create a new account? Worse, by banning someone you throw down a potential challenge of who can outlast whom in a war of mischievous posts and false accounts. Far better in most cases to contact an offending user with a hand-written note which is firm but not connoting Moderator anxiety or hot-headedness over the matter than to issue multiple "warning" e-tickets to the repeat offender.

Yes, there are the trolls that refuse to go away. That's the case with any forum large enough, or any forum about a contentious subject. Warnings are merely a tool of moderators, and proper training of mods should minimalise any problems. Using just plain, customized PMs is just as much of a problem without proper mod training.

The benefits are: record of problems associated with a particular user (again, very useful when there are many moderators, or the need to oversee moderators), and which mods disciplined them and how. You can audit problem users and problem mods.

d4rkst4r123

Post by d4rkst4r123 »

No, that would be a terrible idea to have a wide phpbb record. Im just talking about a single phpbb board.

balding_ape

Post by balding_ape »

d4rkst4r123 wrote: No, that would be a terrible idea to have a wide phpbb record. Im just talking about a single phpbb board.

Yup, that's what I'm talking about, too. It would be impractical and generally unuseful to try to create some kind of universal list due to different board standards, different administrative attitudes, etc.

I'm talking about a single board with between 5 and 20 mods. Especially such a board that supports a commercial or organizational endeavor, such as software support, game support and community interaction, etc.

stubbers

Post by stubbers »

balding_ape wrote:
d4rkst4r123 wrote: No, that would be a terrible idea to have a wide phpbb record. Im just talking about a single phpbb board.

Yup, that's what I'm talking about, too. It would be impractical and generally unuseful to try to create some kind of universal list due to different board standards, different administrative attitudes, etc.

I'm talking about a single board with between 5 and 20 mods. Especially such a board that supports a commercial or organizational endeavor, such as software support, game support and community interaction, etc.

You are all talking about this like it isn't included, that's the whole idea of warnings. Other mods can veiw the warnings thus allowing mods to leave notes to eachother about certain users.

Cheers,
Stubbers

balding_ape

Post by balding_ape »

I thought we were talking about whether or not it was an important/good idea, regardless of its current state of includedness?