Now IF i am reading Bug Tracker correctly Beta should be

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
TwistedWeather

Now IF i am reading Bug Tracker correctly Beta should be

Post by TwistedWeather »

about ready. I say this because i have not seen any of the so called show stopper bug's in a few days anyways.

BTW great job to all on the reporting and the fixing of the bug's.

Oh and i do remember hearing that all the features for beta has been added so that is another reason to believe Beta should be about done. I am talking in terms of day's and i dont mean week or week's either. :mrgreen:

cmptch

Re: Now IF i am reading Bug Tracker correctly Beta should be

Post by cmptch »

That's an interesting take on matters. I'm not fully certain of whether or not I disagree with you. since at least 18 bugs are "review Later" that drops off to around 30. of course, after fixing some bugs, new bugs do arise....It's an interesting dilemma. I do believe that the committee should get together on this one.

.Zach

Post by .Zach »

I agree with twistedweather; I can't wait. :D

Rotsblok

Post by Rotsblok »

beta should be short then cos "most" bugs are already found. Keeping thumbs crossed
ø = 1.618033988749895...
Everything has ø in it

rivaldo

Post by rivaldo »

I swear, some of you folks must be trolls. You've been predicting "days" for months now.

As is true of the development of phpBB as a whole, the elimination of bugs is not a linear process in which the completion date can be derived simply by looking at the number of issues brought up and then resolved in the bug tracker.

There are still a large number of bugs in the code, with new ones found every day, and only a handful of people assigned to work on them, each working at his own pace, and when it is convenient to him. Similarly, each developer has his own set of abilities, as well as a life in the real world outside of phpBB.

Finally, you just can't discount the "Review Later" issues. Why are they classified as that? Is it because resolving the issue will be a major undertaking, draining the programmers' resources (time)? Or maybe because the issue is a headache or "not fun" to work on, and procrastination has taken a hold? Or perhaps the issue is considered trivial and unimportant? Or maybe fixing the issue depends on another issue or set of issues being resolved first. Any of the "Review Later" items could be regarded as such for any one of these reasons, or a combination thereof. All I know is that there are some items which have been around since the bug tracker was opened to the public almost 3 months ago, and they continue to appear on the list. How would they factor into your "calculation"? They can't.

ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

I agree, but:
Acyd Burn wrote: Every bug tagged as "Review Later" will be revisited after the BETA has been released as said within the bug tracker opening announcement.

Grok

Post by Grok »

Though obviously not linear, less bugs would seem to be more favorable for a timely release.

TwistedWeather

Post by TwistedWeather »

rivaldo wrote: I swear, some of you folks must be trolls. You've been predicting "days" for months now.

As is true of the development of phpBB as a whole, the elimination of bugs is not a linear process in which the completion date can be derived simply by looking at the number of issues brought up and then resolved in the bug tracker.

There are still a large number of bugs in the code, with new ones found every day, and only a handful of people assigned to work on them, each working at his own pace, and when it is convenient to him. Similarly, each developer has his own set of abilities, as well as a life in the real world outside of phpBB.

Finally, you just can't discount the "Review Later" issues. Why are they classified as that? Is it because resolving the issue will be a major undertaking, draining the programmers' resources (time)? Or maybe because the issue is a headache or "not fun" to work on, and procrastination has taken a hold? Or perhaps the issue is considered trivial and unimportant? Or maybe fixing the issue depends on another issue or set of issues being resolved first. Any of the "Review Later" items could be regarded as such for any one of these reasons, or a combination thereof. All I know is that there are some items which have been around since the bug tracker was opened to the public almost 3 months ago, and they continue to appear on the list. How would they factor into your "calculation"? They can't.
Please under NO CIRCUMSTANCES dont ever call me A TROLL. I am rather amazed the staff here didnt say anything either as seing how under their guidelines it is considered flaiming. You sir along with a few others need to stop with the kissing up to the phpbb developers. It kinda irks me as well that because some of you all who do this kissing up they allow attacks like this to happen. But heaven forbid the person flamed say's anything because then they get lambasted by the developers and or it's staff. They seem to forget " that i will remind them of " is that ton's of people ( Potential customers/employers etc ) are watching what goes on here. Is this the kinda image phpbb want's?

And it would help as well if YOU who i am quoting here would read and or check out this rest of the board before making statements such as you did. I DID and is why i posted what i did. Thanks.

ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

He wasn't flaming or sucking up to the devs, neither did he say you where doing the opposite. There are plenty of "omg beta is nearly here" topics. The bug tracker is not an indication of the release date (beta is not expected to be bug free), the original plan was not to open the bug tracker until after the first beta release. There are plenty more things to do then just fixing bugs.

Stefft

Post by Stefft »

TwistedWeather wrote: about ready. I say this because i have not seen any of the so called show stopper bug's in a few days anyways.

BTW great job to all on the reporting and the fixing of the bug's.

Oh and i do remember hearing that all the features for beta has been added so that is another reason to believe Beta should be about done. I am talking in terms of day's and i dont mean week or week's either. :mrgreen:
Gees.., have a break. Life != phpBB you know. if you check the comments, you will see that the non-bugfixes are in majority. And then, what are you going to do when the beta is out? There isn't any safe convert script and I don't think the beta is safe for public. :)