Forum Permissions

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
mav3

Forum Permissions

Post by mav3 »

i dont know if im the only 1 who feels this but taking the liberty and expressing what i feel i make the following post:

i think the forum permission settings is AWFUL it makes u go crazy....... it took me a lot of time to set permissions for 1 external link which made me say thats enough for the day.......

guyz ur admin panel is really good but forgive me the Forum permissions just seem to kill the excitement

i yet hv not had the time to go thru the user permissions, the overall page looks the same, that was scary enough for me keep the user permissions unchanged......... please let me know if im the only 1 who feels this and what can b done......

the 2.0.18 vanilla permissions r really clean

dhn

Re: Forum Permissions

Post by dhn »

We are still working on the interface. Once default roles are in and further interface clean ups happened, it shouldn't be more difficult to set permission than in 2.0.x.

Acyd Burn

Post by Acyd Burn »

dhn wrote: We are still working on the interface. Once default roles are in and further interface clean ups happened, it shouldn't be more difficult to set permission than in 2.0.x.
Not entirely true, the system will be the same and the look&feel will not change greatly. The only thing missing is the standard roles and proper documentation.

Since the permissions in 3.0.x are completely different from 2.0.x and also way more powerful this new interface is needed.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

One thing that was weird that I noticed was that admins didn't have all permissions set in the user and moderator sections by default...admin=all rights automatically in my book...but it could have changed since I checked it out last...

Oh, and one other thing that really sucked...after you set permissions for users, when you hit the go back button, it goes back to the main section(where you would need to enter in the users name again to change more permissions)...it really needs to have two buttons...one to go all the way back, and one to go back to the users permissions that you were just working on. ;)

dhn

Post by dhn »

EXreaction wrote: One thing that was weird that I noticed was that admins didn't have all permissions set in the user and moderator sections by default...admin=all rights automatically in my book...but it could have changed since I checked it out last...
The developers want to stay away from automatic permissions, so you will have to set permissions for administrators like for everyone else.

EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

dhn wrote:
EXreaction wrote: One thing that was weird that I noticed was that admins didn't have all permissions set in the user and moderator sections by default...admin=all rights automatically in my book...but it could have changed since I checked it out last...
The developers want to stay away from automatic permissions, so you will have to set permissions for administrators like for everyone else.
Ya...but an administrator is the ultimate user who should be able to do everything...unless your one of the people who think that 8 or more admins are needed on a board. :roll:
Last edited by EXreaction on Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

[insert name here]

Post by [insert name here] »

dhn wrote:
In my opinion, "automatic" permissions should still be included.
I don't want to need to set *individual* permissions for my admins.

mav3

Post by mav3 »

So 1 thing is certain that im not the only 1 not happy with Permission thing and as said by the admin there will not be a significant change in the permission i would request it to b made into 2 sections Simple Mode and Advanced Mode that i think would reduce the complexities of the permission settings......... thanx

ElbertF

Post by ElbertF »

You'll only need to set the permissions once, as "administrators" is a group. Just drop in a new member and you're done.

I think the permission system is one of the coolest things implemented, I enjoy fine tuning everything to my needs. The oversight is very clear, especially with the green/blue/red blocks. Being able to set everything to yes/no/unset at once, roles, copying permissions etc. makes the job pretty easy. It couldn't be done better with this kind of flexibility.

And it's cool to have Google indexing my posts, while guests can't read it :mrgreen:

Eelke

Post by Eelke »

Spambot beat me to it, but I'm not ready to scrap my post ;)

Everything stands and falls with a good interface to this new system, and the devs have already said they're still working on that, so I don't think this is the time to start complaining; it's simply not finished yet. You would be in for an absolute nightmare too if your new car didn't come with some sensible pre-configuration from the factory. If you would have to configure the engine management yourself, you'd also be complaining that it's too complicated.

Personally, I think it's a much better approach to have an admin be "just another user that happens to have more permissions than others" than to code shortcuts into the product for a special kind of admin user.

Taking this approach doesn't mean that once the product is finished, you will have to configure the hell out of it just to get an administrator that has sensible rights for an administrator; I'm sure that when you create an administrator user, it won't be much more difficult than to assign him the administrator role (which has all the sensible permissions settings for an administrator ready to go) and be done with it.

Taking this approach does mean that the code beneath the user interface is much more clean, because there are no special cases for special users (admins), because every user has a certain set of permissions, period.