ajax?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
nwbasser

Re: ajax?

Post by nwbasser »

Here's where I'd like to see AJAX

Spell Checker (yes like the ajax spell checker mod for 2.X and gmail)
Quick Reply (no seriously, it's a good addition to have)
Private Messaging
Attachments
Menu
and so on...

dhn

Post by dhn »

nwbasser wrote: Spell Checker (yes like the ajax spell checker mod for 2.X and gmail)
I suggest you leave the spell-checking to the browser. If you are using Firefox, may I suggest Spellbound?

Drew***

Post by Drew*** »

nwbasser, I see that you mentioned gmail - the Google tool bar now also includes a spell checker that works well with phpbb and all other forums.
Where would you like to go today? http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/

We have information about your home http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/subscribe.php3

HMMaster

Post by HMMaster »

i think quick edit post using ajax would be great :)
signature testtsettesttest

darrenm

Post by darrenm »

I wondered how vBulletin managed to get quick reply working so quickly, is that Ajax then?

yautja_cetanu

Post by yautja_cetanu »

An AJAXed Who is online list would be nice :P

We're kind of implementing this on our boards using some AJAX chatroom software, phpfreechat.

nwbasser

Post by nwbasser »

Drew*** wrote: nwbasser, I see that you mentioned gmail - the Google tool bar now also includes a spell checker that works well with phpbb and all other forums.

Yup, the tool bar and browser built in spell checkers are nice for those that have it, but a lot of users are clueless about these features and would have a better time using an built in spell checker. Only problem is it would add another dependency to phpbb (php with pspell). Well, I hope the current AJAX Spell Checker mod atleast gets ported to phpbb3 ;)

andrewbelcher

Post by andrewbelcher »

I'm from the same boards as yautja_cetanu, and we've now got a couple good uses of AJAX.

The first is the phpFreeChat which he said. Thats a great chatroom that I've integrated with phpBB.

The other I've just installed and that is using AJAX to have the 'new pm' popup appear without having to reload the page! So useful, as reloading pages when you're awaiting a PM is so annoying.

I'm also looking into making our whos online AJAX, as that is another very simple thing that would be worth doing!

nwbasser

Post by nwbasser »

andrewbelcher wrote: I'm from the same boards as yautja_cetanu, and we've now got a couple good uses of AJAX.

The first is the phpFreeChat which he said. Thats a great chatroom that I've integrated with phpBB.

The other I've just installed and that is using AJAX to have the 'new pm' popup appear without having to reload the page! So useful, as reloading pages when you're awaiting a PM is so annoying.

I'm also looking into making our whos online AJAX, as that is another very simple thing that would be worth doing!
If you get these unofficial mods working, you should consider getting them qualified as official mods for phpbb3 when time comes. I for one would love to have these features you mentioned.

Ratt

Post by Ratt »

pine sol works wonders too :D