Updating

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
smardy

Updating

Post by smardy »

Hi, I think this may have been asked before. when beta is released will we be able to update to that and from there to the final release?

the_dan

Re: Updating

Post by the_dan »

Acyd said today that a beta could around as soon as a couple of weeks, although most likely a little longer.
I don't think there will be an upgrade path untill the release candidate stages are reached, and how long it will take to get to that point after the beta stages begin is anyones guess.

smardy

Post by smardy »

okay thanks :)

Graham

Post by Graham »

At this point, you should not be using it live. You could update, but only if you are comfortable editing the database and files. At a later point we will start providing a supported update path towards the final release
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

smardy

Post by smardy »

I am not using it live, I was curious just for when beta is released.

skj310

Post by skj310 »

beta release thoughts
- understood that using a beta release on a production site isn't wise
- understood that a smart beta user would setup a virtual site for beta testing
- understood that no upgrade feature is planned until actual production release of olympus

questions for beta release assuming that i want to use my production data to test with (on the vsite of course):
- will have to pass all my current database info into the new db structure manually?
- is the new olympus db structure similar to 2.0.19? or will i need to be painstakingly diligent with how i pass over my data? meaning am i gonna cry with my attempts at wanting to test out my data on the beta release? :?

smardy

Post by smardy »

uhh does this really have something to do with this topic???
anyway from what I know once the full release is out there will be a upgrade just like every other phpbb release (correct me if im wrong) BUT if you have mods installed it may be hell for you.

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

skj310 wrote: - understood that no upgrade feature is planned until actual production release of olympus
I believe that they are planning an upgrade utility for some point after Beta 1, but before the actual release. The devs have said that they don't want people making the jump from 2.0.x to 3.0b1, but after that is more acceptable, particularly at the release candidate stage.
is the new olympus db structure similar to 2.0.19? or will i need to be painstakingly diligent with how i pass over my data? meaning am i gonna cry with my attempts at wanting to test out my data on the beta release? :?
Probably. :) It's similar in some ways, and completely different in others.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

Alexander the Great

Post by Alexander the Great »

the_dan wrote: Acyd said today that a beta could around as soon as a couple of weeks, although most likely a little longer.
I don't think there will be an upgrade path untill the release candidate stages are reached, and how long it will take to get to that point after the beta stages begin is anyones guess.
Dec 24, 2004

Last time they announced a beta soon...

:lol:

cooleo100d

Post by cooleo100d »

Alexander the Great wrote: Dec 24, 2004

Last time they announced a beta soon...

:lol:
Yeah lol, I remember that.

But I think it's safe to say they would not let that happen again. I trust Acyd Burn, and he obviosuly knows that it's going to be ready by then for beta.

You also have to remember looking back at that we know now that Paul was going a little... hmm there's no smiley for it. I think the following is the closest: 8O

BTW: What ever happend to Paul? He left, and never posted in Area51 again, never posted on phpBB.com again, and most shockingly of all, his site is gone. Do any of the team members know if he's OK?