burden on the new phpBB 3.0 coders?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
yexusbeliever

burden on the new phpBB 3.0 coders?

Post by yexusbeliever »

I wonder if our new phpBB 3 coders are taking it well. I know that it will take alot of time from their life. It is a committment they made when they want this project to go worldwide.

Anyone know if they are having a hard time?
hmm....

cooleo100d

Re: burden on the new phpBB 3.0 coders?

Post by cooleo100d »

You have to understand that phpBB does bring in money. There are ads on the site, and it has a Google pagerank of 9, which is basicaly unheard of. I would guess they are bringing in a fairly large amount of money. I would hope the developers get some of that money, which would make it worth their while. Also, I'm sure they love doing it, and love to program.

VxJasonxV

Post by VxJasonxV »

I'm sure the bulk of the money goes to hosting/colocation (or dedicated server hosting, whichever route they've gone).
"If You Support It, They Will Come."
"Construction"

cooleo100d

Post by cooleo100d »

VxJasonxV wrote: I'm sure the bulk of the money goes to hosting/colocation (or dedicated server hosting, whichever route they've gone).
I highly doubt the hosting is that expensive. The bulk of the bandwidth used is when people download phpBB, which is handled by Sourceforge so it doesn't cost phpBB any money.

Other than that, all they're hosting is a few static pages, and a phpBB forum. One nice server suits that fine.

Yawnster

Post by Yawnster »

lol bud your forgetting the hundreds or styles and mods that are held on phpbb.com.. im guessing its that, that will cost so much..

cooleo100d

Post by cooleo100d »

Yawnster wrote: lol bud your forgetting the hundreds or styles and mods that are held on phpbb.com.. im guessing its that, that will cost so much..
No, it wont. Compared to what they're probably bringing in, it shouldn't be that much.

Also, in the recent announcement, it's indicated that the phpBB project has grown. That usually means a growth in profits also.

Lastof

Post by Lastof »

There was a discussion about this some time last year. I'm not sure whether it was here or on the main site. I searched for the thread, but couldn't find it.

However, it was stated that very little is made from the adds after all the costs of running the project are taken into account. We were also informed that the site has a below average click throught rate on the adds.

So, either the team was lieing, or they really don't make all that much.
Last edited by Lastof on 04 May 2008, 00:00, edited -1 times in total
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Look, I'm officially not a bug!!
SHS`: "Oooh Bertie, spank me with that casing stick, spank me spank me spaaaaannnnk mee!"

Pit

Post by Pit »

cooleo100d wrote: profits
:lol:

I don't think that word is particularly correct in this situation. An awful lot of volunteer effort goes into phpBB and the phpBB community, and I don't think the ads provide enough money to "break even" against that. You know what they say about time...

Yawnster

Post by Yawnster »

To my knowledge there is only actually one advert banner on phpbb.com at present.. the nice big pruple thing...

http://www.phpbb.com/about/ads/" target="_blank

You do the maths.. ;)

cooleo100d

Post by cooleo100d »

Yawnster wrote: To my knowledge there is only actually one advert banner on phpbb.com at present.. the nice big pruple thing...

http://www.phpbb.com/about/ads/" target="_blank

You do the maths.. ;)
That's interesting. But that's in addition to Google ads. If they get almost the average amount of click throughs, with the amount of visitors they get they should be making some money.

But don't get me wrong, if they are making money, I'm all for it, and I really do hope the developers get some of it.

If they are not making any money, then they are doing something wrong, because with a pagerank 9 site, those ads should be bringing in something.