Where to download phpBB 3 code?

Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ... posting here won't increase your post count (or shouldn't!). Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above. Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests!
Forum rules
Please do not post any "phpBB" specific topics here unless they do not fit into the category above.

Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! No really... Do not post bug reports, feature or support requests! Doing so will make Bertie a very sad bear indeed. :(
jay_ny

Where to download phpBB 3 code?

Post by jay_ny »

Hello,

I was wondering where I could download the phpBB 3 / Olympus source code. I have looked everywhere, including area51, and on Google, and have not been able to find it.

Does it need to be checked out of a CVS server? If so, what is the location of that server? Are there any tarballs or zip files available?

Thanks.

Sphen

Re: Where to download phpBB 3 code?

Post by Sphen »

Hi,

You can download the CVS code from the area51 website. I believe the URL is:

http://area51.phpbb.com/cvs" target="_blank

On the right hand side, there are ten different packages. Choose one and download it.

Good Luck :D

Sphenn
I think, therefore I am, I think...
I refuse to have a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.
Site - Blog

ScionCrow

Post by ScionCrow »

Keep this in mind though..
phpBB 2.1.x is the development branch of the next major release of phpBB. It introduces a significant number of core changes to various routines and functions as well as the database schema. We heavily recommend that you do not use these snapshots unless you are very comfortable with manual database work, editing of PHP files, etc.
And keep this in mind as well: There will be NO support given to CVS Snapshots of either phpBB 2.0.XX or 2.X at all. Things will be broken, things are not complate and such.
Someplace where it's dark, someplace where it's quiet, I feel at home... I have nowhere to go any longer, as that's what I desire.

jay_ny

Post by jay_ny »

Hello,

thanks for your replies. I was just wondering: is the 2.1 branch the same as 3.0 / Olympus?

Thanks.

ScionCrow

Post by ScionCrow »

2.1.X is the developmental version of Olympus. It uses the X,Y,Z versioning system. X = Complete re-done codebase.. (IE: 1.4.X to 2.0.X), Y = Major coding changes but, none to the core codes. (In this case, 2.0.X to 2.1.X but, odd numbers are strictly DEV and even numbers are releases), Z = patches, bug fixes, security fixes and such..

If anyone would like to correct me, feel free. I don't remember the exact place I found this but, it's somewhere on the main phpBB.com website where this is mentioned.
Someplace where it's dark, someplace where it's quiet, I feel at home... I have nowhere to go any longer, as that's what I desire.

cyberCrank

Post by cyberCrank »

jay, ScionCrow is correct -- and when you install the Olympus CVS download, you will see it listed in the ACP as: