phpbb3 mods

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
rdsx667

phpbb3 mods

Post by rdsx667 »

so can make mods
Last edited by rdsx667 on Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
phpbb3 rocks!

who_cares

Re: phpbb3 mods

Post by who_cares »

yes but it's not a good idea right now since it hasn't even gone beta yet

ScionCrow

Post by ScionCrow »

As said by who_cares, making MODs for phpBB Olympus as it is now is a very bad idea as there are still some code changes and major ones that need to be done and such.. so, refrain from doing MODs for Olympus until the code is more stable and the forum software is stable.
Someplace where it's dark, someplace where it's quiet, I feel at home... I have nowhere to go any longer, as that's what I desire.

th23

Post by th23 »

On the one hand I can only say "right"...you shouldn't start modding now...

On the other hand, if you want to upgrade to Olympus a.s.a.p. you have to, because otherwise you aren't ready when Olympus is released...

And - yes I've already started - if you want to do so, you can - technically - forge the functions you need. But you have to keep them updated manually!

So, if you want to do, you for sure can, but be aware of the problems that - will! - occur and try to touch as few lines of the original code as possible (do only mods that are actually more like "add ons") ;)

just my 2 cents

sim2k

Post by sim2k »

phpBB3 mods arent good at this time, but
phpbb3 modules - like messaging, extenden profiles, idlebox, guestbook, and so on.
because the smarty based template parser is almost complete, so we needn't to make many changes to make the modules usable in the stable version.

Please build some addons like me :-)

greetings sim

arod-1

Post by arod-1 »

th23 wrote: .....
And - yes I've already started - if you want to do so, you can - technically - forge the functions you need. But you have to keep them updated manually!
not exactly.
if you use cvs, (not the "snapshot" thingy, but rather "real" cvs), the code changes will be merged for you by the cvs mechanism.

th23

Post by th23 »

arod-1 wrote: ...the code changes will be merged for you by the cvs mechanism.
How that?

Anyway this didn't prevent you from changes in this functions that won't allow your (kind of) usage of this functions. E.g.: You use function "test" that allows you to submit two variables and will return the result. If there are now changes in that function, that remove some of the functionality your application won't work anymore.

With my method I only have to look through the code if there are any security issues fixed. If not - and my add on works - I don't need to take the changes on the funtions to my forged function.

arod-1

Post by arod-1 »

well, the way cvs works is:
ehhhm ehhm....
no, i am not going to write a 5-liner guide to cvs. just rtfm.
please note, though, that cvs stands for "Concurrent Versions System", and is used with small and large development projects.
there are many projects with hundred of Klocs (quite a few projects with several Mlocs) and dozens (again, some with hundreds) of developers, all working on a shared code base, each submitting their changes to the same file-set, and cvs handles it (mostly) gracefully.
i dont think cvs will have a lot of problems with the scenario you painted. basically, if you made a local change to the same line of code which was modified and submitted by one of the developewrs to the cvs-repository, cvs will flag a "conflict", and you will be notified, and will have to option to decide how to handle it.
in reality, conflicts are surprisingly rare.

you can get a cvs-client for windoze,
all the *nix-es i know of, including macosx, amiga, and more.
in addition, any serious development environmsnt i am aware of offers cvs integration, so if you develop with anything a little heaviewr than notepad, you may already have it integrated in your environment.

(btw: this is a separate discussion, but what DO you use to develop php code?
i use zend studio, but i heard nice things about eclipse. comments anyone?)

the details of the cvs repository of the phpbb project is:

:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/phpbb
password: none (not "none". just hit <Enter>)
project name (for checkout) phpBB2

tiger2kn5

Post by tiger2kn5 »

Well i also started making my "Modules" not mods. Although i been inclided to mod some things but really refrain my self from doing such things. However there was one mod that i couldnt' help doing just because i really wanted to see when people use my module ;)

In any event, Check out my live verstion of Olympus at

I know theres alot of security factors but since im not really getting alot of users right now, and im not doing any advertising to attract more users. I figure i could deal with it until a more stable version.

The module is this basicly an item in teh user control panel for the artist to upload their content and configure their pages.

And the mod are just changes to phpBB function to view who's online. Which shows when people are viewing artist pages, and which section their viewing (insted of always saying "viewing index page" whenever the user is outside of the forum scope)

And i been keeping it up to date with the snapshots, but only when i think the updates are significant, like the latest one that had alot of commits. And doesn't take me very long to update. I think took me like 4hrs to bring it up to date.

Edit
Spam: Refers to the practice of blindly posting commercial messages or advertisements to a large number of unrelated and uninterested newsgroups. Google Definition

The link i posted nor my signature are/were commercial messages. And since when can't you have a link to your website on your signature. 75% of all users have them, but i guess im the one only one who gets their signature removed :evil:
Last edited by tiger2kn5 on Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

w3neo

Post by w3neo »

I keep seeing people post that they are not really concerned about security because of whatever reasons they might have and it bothers me because it seems they are not aware that they are not only endangering their own site but possibly every other site hosted on the sever they are on. Unless they are on a dedicated server then they have no right to be using this in a live environment let alone posting the address to it in a public forum. If you are hosting it on your own machine then I guess it's up to you if you are willing to let someone into your box.

I am no less anxious then the next person to see Olympus go gold with the blessing of the devs that it is as safe as can be made but until then I wont be putting it a live site advertized outside of my own team.

w3