AJAX support?

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
alcaeus

AJAX support?

Post by alcaeus »

Hi everybody,

I was wondering if Olympus will have some kind of AJAX integration like it's available in the new vB Beta. It's kind of useful (to be honest, I think they've gone a bit too far with AJAX features), and I haven't seen it in the CVS yet. Are there plans to implement it for 3.0 or is it being held back for a later version?

Greetz
alcaeus

psoTFX

Re: AJAX support?

Post by psoTFX »

It's been under discussion a while ... more soon.

blobber

Post by blobber »

alcaeus wrote: Hi everybody,

I was wondering if Olympus will have some kind of AJAX integration like it's available in the new vB Beta. It's kind of useful (to be honest, I think they've gone a bit too far with AJAX features), and I haven't seen it in the CVS yet. Are there plans to implement it for 3.0 or is it being held back for a later version?

Greetz
alcaeus
Also, I seem to recall seeing corresponding feature request at phpBB's sourceforge tracker, it's certainly interesting - but on the other hand it would require some serious re-design efforts in many places to be really implemented well, also most users would probably prefer to have this as an OPTION rather a default (i.e. users with browser w/o javascript support (enabled)) - additionally, it would probably be useful to allow admins to configure these features.

FWIW, personally I consider this another interesting idea that should be discussed publicly ;-)

DeadEye686

Post by DeadEye686 »

blobber wrote:
alcaeus wrote: Hi everybody,

Greetz
alcaeus
Also, I seem to recall seeing corresponding feature request at phpBB's sourceforge tracker, it's certainly interesting - but on the other hand it would require some serious re-design efforts in many places to be really implemented well, also most users would probably prefer to have this as an OPTION rather a default (i.e. users with browser w/o javascript support (enabled)) - additionally, it would probably be useful to allow admins to configure these features.

FWIW, personally I consider this another interesting idea that should be discussed publicly ;-)
What kind of redesign efforts are you referring to? Most AJAX functionality would work perfectly just written into a template without touching the core code.

blobber

Post by blobber »

DeadEye686 wrote: What kind of redesign efforts are you referring to? Most AJAX functionality would work perfectly just written into a template without touching the core code.
I was referring to some of the feature requests/ideas concerning phpBB's support for AJAX that I recently talked about with other phpBB users.

Yes, the actual JavaScript and GUI stuff could/would of course simply be stuffed into the templates, however in order to truly parametrize these things (that is, make them sufficiently configurable), it would make sense to add corresponding "glue" code into the PHP backend. Ultimately, in order to avoid duplicating code, the AJAX features should probably be implemented by using the very same PHP backend logics -On the other hand, Olympus' current tendency towards OOP -where feasible- is certainly going to be helpful to add basic AJAX support pretty quickly.

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

blobber, not everything needs discussing "openly" ... ;) Please, just let me run things how I see fit ... sometimes, just sometimes I'm right ;) You'll get your moment soon enough (if you really and honestly wish to contribute more than words).

blobber

Post by blobber »

psoTFX wrote: blobber, not everything needs discussing "openly" ... ;) Please, just let me run things how I see fit ... sometimes, just sometimes I'm right ;) You'll get your moment soon enough (if you really and honestly wish to contribute more than words).
lol, "words" ? You mean ESSAYS - don't you ? :lol:

I'm not saying that it NEEDS to be discussed openly - I just said, that from my perspective -as a user- I would find it interesting to discuss some development related topics publicly, rather than being forced to do this privately with other users who might feel the same - referring to the hooks thread, now ;-)

Apart from that, I think that I did understand you correctly - nor do I try not to let you run things the way you deem appropriate - how could I ? :-)

Besides, I really don't mind all that much being restricted to textual "contributions", as you probably have noticed I try to take the chance to make up for my "limited freedoms" accordingly :lol:

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

Then please, contribute where appropriate and discontinue the "pushing" you're doing. I've been discussing various things with you privately and I thought I had addressed certain concerns. In other areas I simply do not agree and will not alter the course phpBB has taken ... end of story in that regard. I'm confident the forthcoming announcement and an increase in openess (to a certain extent) will benefit everyone. However, I'll be as clear as I can here ... this is our project and we will run it as we see fit ... we do listen and will/are addressing some issues. But at the end of the day we have our ways and means (generally based on experience few if any here have), please, at least respect them even if you disagree with them.

Right, okay, now this can return to the relevant topic (minus any third parties wishing to push their forks/spoons or other cutlery).

president

Post by president »

I think the answer would be:

No, it will not be in 3.0

As paul said, they are discussing it and he has already said they have cut somethings from the old 3.0 list anyway.

Maybe after 3.0
psoTFX wrote: I went with Olympus because as I said to the teams ... "It's been one hell of a hill to climb"
dhn wrote: You are the admin, learn how to use phpBB 3.0 and you can do exactly that what you want. Satisfy your users.

dhn

Post by dhn »

president wrote: No, it will not be in 3.0
Still has to be decided.