"feature not working" reports

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
arod-1

"feature not working" reports

Post by arod-1 »

this is not a support request, so hold your horses, please....
are the developers interested in receiving problem reports from the people running the cvs version?
the idea is to just throw a short line saying "feature X does not work as expected: i did Y and Z happened", which the developers can totally ignore, ignore if this is an area due for an overhaul, or ignore if they are already aware of the problem, or ignore if this is not at all a problem with the code, rather with the perception.
if it is a real problem which the developers were not aware of, they will then learn of it.
just asking.

also: is there a list of "feature currently not working, so dont bother to mention it" list?

A_Jelly_Doughnut

Re: "feature not working" reports

Post by A_Jelly_Doughnut »

There is no such list because the developers do not want bug reports on any features, "finished" or not ;)
A_Jelly_Doughnut

Viperal2

Post by Viperal2 »

Feature not working falls under bugs, they're not accepting bug reports until one of the betas. You get your turn to report, just not now.

Theres a few bugs and for the most part they know about then, if it isn't fixed that means the have something planned ( code change ) or haven't seen it yet. If they miss it you have beta to report.
What is The Viperal ?

http://developer.berlios.de/projects/viperals/" target="_blank

blobber

Post by blobber »

arod-1 wrote: this is not a support request, so hold your horses, please....
are the developers interested in receiving problem reports from the people running the cvs version?
the idea is to just throw a short line saying "feature X does not work as expected: i did Y and Z happened", which the developers can totally ignore, ignore if this is an area due for an overhaul, or ignore if they are already aware of the problem, or ignore if this is not at all a problem with the code, rather with the perception.
if it is a real problem which the developers were not aware of, they will then learn of it.
just asking.

also: is there a list of "feature currently not working, so dont bother to mention it" list?
Make sure to search this board for "CVS" and "bugs" or "bug reports" to get dozens of relevant threads, but it comes down to "bug reports are neither desired nor considered [until the final testing phase]", however - you can still collect all your findings and keep track on what's getting fixed and what not - that way, you can easily provide a comprehensive list of bugs as soon as the final testing phase is actually reached.

Apart from that, another option would be to make your bug reports available to those folks who've branched the current CVS code, I guess they might be somewhat more interested and maybe even more responsive ...

arod-1

Post by arod-1 »

thx, everyone, but the question was whether the developers are interested, (i got the message loud and clear) and not what I can do "to get it off my chest". i was merely offering (i thought) my help, not seeking comfort... (no offense to anyone intended).

blobber

Post by blobber »

arod-1 wrote: thx, everyone, but the question was whether the developers are interested, (i got the message loud and clear) and not what I can do "to get it off my chest". i was merely offering (i thought) my help, not seeking comfort... (no offense to anyone intended).
you seem to be getting something wrong: while the developers have clearly stated that they are currently NOT interested in any sort of bug reports for the CVS version (indeed, that's an inquiry that seems to be posted here each week), this does not necessarily mean that they won't be interested in your findings as soon as the actual testing phase begins, so your help is likely to still be appreciated at that time, it's merely not considered helpful at this time to post bugs reports ...
Apart from that, it's probably not a bad idea to write down any findings privately and keep track of what got fixed and what didn't -as there seem to be many who'd like to share their "experiences" with the CVS version, it'll probably be easy to find people who'd like share bug reports among eachothers.

stubbers

Post by stubbers »

Well, thats a new spin on things 'feature not working' (no sarcasm, this thread entertains me). But no the developers won't like the idea, they don't want to know what is and isn't working. It's probably not working because it isn't finished yet :lol:

BioALIEN

Post by BioALIEN »

blobber wrote: you seem to be getting something wrong: while the developers have clearly stated that they are currently NOT interested in any sort of bug reports for the CVS version (indeed, that's an inquiry that seems to be posted here each week), this does not necessarily mean that they won't be interested in your findings as soon as the actual testing phase begins, so your help is likely to still be appreciated at that time, it's merely not considered helpful at this time to post bugs reports ...
Apart from that, it's probably not a bad idea to write down any findings privately and keep track of what got fixed and what didn't -as there seem to be many who'd like to share their "experiences" with the CVS version, it'll probably be easy to find people who'd like share bug reports among eachothers.
blobber, I tried this a few months back only to have the thread closed:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19271

If anybody is doing this, I suggest using another place to post your findings - somewhere not directly affiliated with *.phpBB.com until the beta is released :idea:
BioALIEN
█ Secure your name before someone else does: TheMillionDollarAdvert.com
█ Get your permanent listing from $10 USD. You too can own a piece of internet history.
The moment you master the art of programming is the moment you program the art itself! - BioALIEN

rivaldo

Post by rivaldo »

The whole point is, if you feel compelled to make notes of what needs fixing in phpBB 3.0, then keep your records at home or on another site - don't post them here. Compile a list, and when the beta is finally released, go through it again and note if the items still appear. If not, cross them off the list.

blobber

Post by blobber »

BioALIEN: yes, of course it's not recommended to try to publish your findings here, where the very ambitious "phpBB thread locking team" will immediately spot your attempt to violate forum rules and act upon it accordingly ;-)
rivaldo wrote: The whole point is, if you feel compelled to make notes of what needs fixing in phpBB 3.0, then keep your records at home or on another site - don't post them here. Compile a list, and when the beta is finally released, go through it again and note if the items still appear. If not, cross them off the list.
agreed :-)

...it's just something that's no problem to do, at least if you regularly check out the latest version from CVS anyway