Thank you to the devs

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Magnotta

Re: Thank you to the devs

Post by Magnotta »

Natan wrote:
BioALIEN wrote: http://www.SaveToby.com" target="_blank
Snopes :mrgreen:

Glad to read that. As someone who owns a rabbit, savetoby definetly *beep* me off.

GrindBastard

Post by GrindBastard »

I'd like to thank the devs for their excellent work, too.
I haven't been working with phpBB for too long (actually since July 2004), but I intend to stay with it and hope to be able to contribute something valueable someday.

On the other hand - and I sure hope no one will feel offended now - I am also pretty eager to see the first beta of Olympus. In fact when I decided to use phpBB, there were rumors around that promised the release of v2.2 for late 2004 and that was actually one of the reasons why I decided to replace various other boards I adminstered with phpBB. No need to say I'm disappointed (that's all, I don't twit anyone and I'm not angry) and I have to justify my decision to the people I persuaded to use phpBB instead of other systems.

I think, there are 4 groups of phpBB admins at the moment:
- Those who come in here and flame around, yelling at everyone and demanding Olympus immediately.
- Those who check in regularly to see if there are any news - like me. We're the kind of people that's eagerly waiting for Olympus, just because phpBB is an excellent piece of software we're glad to have used for a while and which we intend to use in the future.
I don't think anyone has the right to call us names for that or anything. In fact, how do you think would the devs feel if there was no interest in Olympus at all?
- Those who sit in here, repeating the same "it's done when it's done"-phrase 24/7 (no, that doesn't adress the psoTFX or the devs in general of course).
- Those who don't care at all because they intend to stick to 2.0.x

Obviously, the problem for everyone is group #1, because they're ruining the atmosphere of this board and they're spoiling the fun of the devs.

Nevertheless, as said already, I'll be glad to see a beta of Olympus - the sooner the better.

Thanks for reading.
</delurk>

Mr.Jester

Post by Mr.Jester »

Thank you for phpBB, your time, your effort, and your selflessness.

psoTFX

Post by psoTFX »

I'm wondering why, each time an announcement is published there is so much "thank you" feedback :) Not that I'm knocking you guys for showing gratitude :D

Oh, and DragonLordP ... new policy? erm, no. Meik is simply posting an update on progress, just as I used to. There is no "new" policy ... it was time for an update. If Meik hadn't done it, I would have. We post updates when they are warranted. Frankly there is absolutely no point in wasting time listing the same old same old every month ... as for wanting explicit information when module X is done. You may get lucky, but I wouldn't count on it. I've not asked Meik to explicitly do this and don't believe he's intending to. Everyone is free to follow the CVS checkins where progress can be seen in "real time".

Mr.Jester

Post by Mr.Jester »

psoTFX wrote: I'm wondering why, each time an announcement is published there is so much "thank you" feedback :) Not that I'm knocking you guys for showing gratitude :D
Cause we are trying to counter some of the, now consistant, bitching that goes on for every anouncement.

OR It could be cause you have given us a lil cookie.

OR It could be cause we appreciate the work and it seams like an appropriate time.

OR .... <insert 1000 differnet, not so pleasent reasons why>

Take your pick.

Natan

Post by Natan »

What jester said ^
"You may only be one person to the world, but you may also be the world to one person."

DragonlordP

Post by DragonlordP »

thank you psotfx :)
you live it or lie it

http://www.electricrequiem.com" target="_blank
greek metal forums and more

sectionw

Post by sectionw »

psoTFX wrote: I'm wondering why, each time an announcement is published there is so much "thank you" feedback :) Not that I'm knocking you guys for showing gratitude :D

Oh, and DragonLordP ... new policy? erm, no. Meik is simply posting an update on progress, just as I used to. There is no "new" policy ... it was time for an update. If Meik hadn't done it, I would have. We post updates when they are warranted. Frankly there is absolutely no point in wasting time listing the same old same old every month ... as for wanting explicit information when module X is done. You may get lucky, but I wouldn't count on it. I've not asked Meik to explicitly do this and don't believe he's intending to. Everyone is free to follow the CVS checkins where progress can be seen in "real time".
I made the thank you after the people got their panties in knot over details and how late it will be blabla so i wanted to post that there is a large contingent not speaking much on the sidelines that appreciate the effort, the beta news is not the reason for the thank you, but a reminder that plenty of people understand doing a project like that part time ain't easy :) and keep on going, we appreciate. I will get to use v3 one day, no rush, i enjoy 2.0.x for the moment :) i don;t need the new toy immediately ;)