Spell Check

Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here.
Forum rules
Discuss features as they are added to the new version. Give us your feedback. Don't post bug reports, feature requests, support questions or suggestions here. Feature requests are closed.
timsweb

Spell Check

Post by timsweb »

Hey,

I was just thinking, an good feature would be a spell check like in Hotmail, so when about to post the post, theres a spell check button, what do you think?

Tim

Martin Blank

Re: Spell Check

Post by Martin Blank »

Tremendously resource-intensive. You're checking every word against a database of spellings. Microsoft may have lots of big servers to handle that kind of load, but most forum hosts do not.
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

timsweb

Post by timsweb »

but its only done when people the check, also it dosent have to check it againest a mysql table, how about dictonary.com like google does?

Tim

Martin Blank

Post by Martin Blank »

That would be pretty rude to dictionary.com, sucking their bandwidth like that. Even with an API that uses very little bandwidth, the effect of thousands of phpBB boards hitting it all day would be cumulatively destructive.

And heaven help them should they get hit with some of my posts. :)
You can never go home again... but I guess you can shop there.

Hyperlink

Post by Hyperlink »

A spell check feature really would be nice to have. Too bad about that "bandwidth is a *beep*" theory. Perhaps it could be one of those features the admin can have on or off depending on if the server can support it or not? A properly working spell check would be godsend imo.

Aldenhier

Post by Aldenhier »

Isn't there the "Spelling Cow" (or something) spell checker, already in 2.0.x? Won't someone integrate it into the 3.0 version too?

-Aldenhier

Natan

Post by Natan »

For those using IE, there's ieSpell. For those using Firefox, there's the SpellBound Extension plus the Dictionary to go along with it.
"You may only be one person to the world, but you may also be the world to one person."

cyberCrank

Post by cyberCrank »

Natan wrote: For those using IE, there's
ieSpell
. For those using Firefox, there's the SpellBound Extension plus the Dictionary to go along with it.
Both of these are good and both work nicely with phpBB versions...

Hyperlink

Post by Hyperlink »

Those extensions are very nice. I still think it would be nice to have an integrated one for phpbb. Sometimes I wish I could enforce some degree of spelling ability on some people. The spelling cow spell checker was a little awkward...

timsweb

Post by timsweb »

yep, it would be could if you can turn it on and off in the cpanel dependinging on whether you server can take the extra load or not