Banned People Returning?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Al For Life

Banned People Returning?

Post by Al For Life »

I think some people who were banned on my forum are somehow able to come back.

They've been banned by IP address, is there any way that they can do this? and if there is, is there a way I can stop it?

Thanks for your help
Al

JPortal

Re: Banned People Returning?

Post by JPortal »

1) If they're behing a proxy they can change their IP address and I'm not aware of any way to prevent this.
2) If they're not, you can ban ranges of IP address, IE 127.0.0.*. The problem with this is that often this will also block "innocent" users.

Al For Life

Post by Al For Life »

thanks, do u know of any forum hack programs that might be able to let banned users in?

Graham

Post by Graham »

Hardly the sort of thing to be discussed here is it?
"So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish"

Graham
Eeek, a blog!

Al For Life

Post by Al For Life »

i dunno, im tryna find out if people are hacking my board. Im not talkin that im gonna start hackin boards.

b3rx

Post by b3rx »

if the users is using a dialup connection. then this will be hard in banning them because their IP addresses change. i think everytime they make a connection. i guess its because of their proxy.
b3rx.com

"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing..."

Image Image Image

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

b3rx wrote: if the users is using a dialup connection. then this will be hard in banning them because their IP addresses change. i think everytime they make a connection. i guess its because of their proxy.

DSL providers in the UK work under the same premis.
Rob

Psychotic_Carp

Post by Psychotic_Carp »

Roberdin wrote:
b3rx wrote: if the users is using a dialup connection. then this will be hard in banning them because their IP addresses change. i think everytime they make a connection. i guess its because of their proxy.

the US is the same (at least SBC is)
Last edited by Psychotic_Carp on Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

SolarFX

Post by SolarFX »

Roberdin wrote:

And the US (mostly).
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, margarita in one hand - chocolate in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO! - What a Ride!"

APTX

Post by APTX »

You mean DSL in the US and UK has dynamic ip's too? I have dyn ip too.
Don't give me my freedom out of pity!