using Smarty ?

Discussion of general topics related to the new version and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Forum rules
Discussion of general topics related to the new release and its place in the world. Don't discuss new features, report bugs, ask for support, et cetera. Don't use this to spam for other boards or attack those boards!
Tomba

using Smarty ?

Post by Tomba »

hi people and developers of phpBB

I was wondering if there have been thoughts about using Smarty template engine to parse the template files. I think it may be a good solution for all of us, as phpBB developers may then have more time to implement other things.

On the other hand, including phpBB into a site would also be easier if this site started using smarty. It would make a better united application, instead of the ports and pseudo-CMS systems I have seen built around phpBB

Any ideas on this?

alcaeus

Re: using Smarty ?

Post by alcaeus »

psoTFX said it once: he doesn't want to use Smarty. Just look for his post, it's somewhere in here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12672" target="_blank

Greetz
alcaeus

Sphen

Post by Sphen »

Hi,

phpBB is using a custom built templating engine built by former team member Nathan Codding. It uses a lot of elements of Smarty. phpBB probably wouldn't switch to Smarty because it is a lot of work to change all the code, and they already have a system in place that works. As for the CMS issue, there was a phpBB Portal project in the works, although it is on hold right now. I hope this helps :D

Sphen

EDIT:

This is the post that was pointed to earlier.
I think, therefore I am, I think...
I refuse to have a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.
Site - Blog

dmaj007

Post by dmaj007 »

It would not be too hard to change to Smarty, you would not get too many benifits from it though. phpBB's template engine is not based on Smarty, it uses a small amount of code for tokenizing things inside of conditionals inside of a template. Nathan Coding did not all of a sudden just say, "OMG!! TEMPLATE ENGINE!!111". It was based off of PHPLib's... However, paul rewrote just about everything inside of it and now.. well.. thats all..

Sphen

Post by Sphen »

It was my impression that Nathan Codding took elements from several templating engines and combined them with a lot of his own ideas. You are correct about Paul recoding a lot of it though. :D

Sphen
Site - Blog

niekas

Post by niekas »

I agree - it would be wonderful if phpbb switched to smarty.

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

Why?

The phpBB templating engine has been designed to be quick and has been optimised with other parts of the phpBB architecture. What will Smarty allow you to do differently for all that extra load?
Rob

ElizabeththeGrey

Post by ElizabeththeGrey »

Integrate directly into the site I'm already developing using Smarty, using only one template engine.

Sphen

Post by Sphen »

Unfortunately, there aren't enough people using Smarty to justify a engine change. The developers would have to rewrite large parts of the code to allow this to happen, and it wouldn't be worthwhile for them to do it.

Sphen
Site - Blog

DemonBob

Post by DemonBob »

Do you know is 3.0 is going to allow porting the template engine, and using it for the rest of the site? would it be as simple as a class call?