Style requests

All style (template, theme and imageset) related questions for the new release; advice, feedback here please.
JPortal

Style requests

Post by JPortal »

I have some suggestions/thoughts about the current style, that hopefully will be fixed in the new style.

My first thought is this. When you make the browser window very small (like if you have a small screen or resolution) some stuff tends to be cramped more than others. When my browser is taking up 1/4 of the screen (1024x768) everything looks relatively fine, except some of the links on the cell rows (see the "Subscribe Topic | Bookmark Topic | ..." links above).
Just a thought ;)

The other one is a suggestion that I have more interest in. I know the phpBB developers do not need to tailor phpBB to make it easier for CMS/portal writers to integrate. I am writing my own portal software and I have been taking Paul's advice of molding my portal around phpBB. So far, so good, it's going great, except for one thing.

My portal is going to follow the standard format of blocks on a bar to the left and right, and content in the middle. HOWEVER I am having problems on posting pages, and especially the UCP -> compose message page, because the posting form surrounds the *whole* page.

This is a problem because it prevents me from, for instance, having a log-in form on a posting page. I was just wondering if this could be changed so that <form>s only surround form elements, and anything outside of that (IE the forms on the compose privmsg page) use Javascript?

I'm sorry if that doesn't make much sense, I'm doing my best to explain it here. :?

Roberdin

Re: Style requests

Post by Roberdin »

It's open source - you can easily change it yourself. ;)
Rob

JPortal

Post by JPortal »

What? Really? :o

I just thought it would be something nice that could be easily changed. I want to edit phpBB files as little as possible (to smooth upgrades, especially since it's being developed so fast).

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

Ah, but you want to create something different - a portal you said? - that's going to involve some changes to the phpBB core that you can't expect the group to make on your behalf if they won't benefit the majority of users.
Rob

JPortal

Post by JPortal »

Surprisingly, no. I'm pretty much 60% done with it, and absolutely _NO_ changes to ANY phpBB files, except I changed the names of the variables/constants IN_PHPBB and $phpbb_root_path. I also removed some stuff from the beginning of the files where it defines the above variables and includes common.php.
As I said, these are just suggestions, I understand the phpBB team has no obligation towards me. Just a suggestion, if they can't do it OK, but it's worth asking nicely, don't you think?
Besides, it's not some earth-shattering change.

Roberdin

Post by Roberdin »

Whoah, whoah, calm down. ;)
Rob