A 'Production' wikl?

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
P_I
Community Team
Community Team

A 'Production' wikl?

Post by P_I »

Follow-up and continuing some discussion from https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2574206
david63 wrote:Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:48 pm The current Wiki is titled "Development Wiki" so perhaps there is a need for a "Production Wiki" (or some other name).

For instance the Release Highlights section is not really anything to do with development as the development team already know what is in the release as they are the ones having made the changes.

Perhaps it may be an idea to move some items from the KB to a Wiki
P_I wrote:Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:59 pm
david63 wrote:Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:48 pm Perhaps it may be an idea to move some items from the KB to a Wiki
I would definitely support that idea as it would allow the phpBB community to crowd-source and update information more quickly.

The Knowledge Base (KB) articles are very helpful and I often link them into support posts where appropriate. But I've never really understood the process to update them or add to them.

Updating or adding to a wiki is easy because MediaWiki (the wiki software) is well known and understood. Wiki articles are easy to maintain, and to fix errors and omissions or update article links to connect article together. MediaWiki provides control on who can edit pages and protection mechanisms for specific pages so that only authorized editors can make changes to those articles. Wiki articles themselves carry an edit history, so essentially act as source control and revision history of themselves.

As part of a couple of communities I'm involved with we also have companion wikis that are used to gather the 'best practices' and collective knowledge of the forum posts. And search in a wiki is way easier than searching in phpBB.

Added: I've got lots of experience running and maintaining a wiki and would gladly volunteer my time and effort to give back to the community to implement something like this.
Mick wrote:Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:26 pm It looks like you’ve got yourself a job!

Just a thought though, I personally dislike wikis and blogs and I assume I’m not on my own. They’re not ‘proper’ documentation IMHO.
Is there support from the phpBB development team and community for this idea?

If so, can we use this topic to flush out the concept further.

For reference, the current wiki, https://wiki.phpbb.com/Main_Page is running an ancient and long EOL version of MediaWiki (which was supported until end of May 2017) and for that matter an EOL version of PHP. See Version lifecycle - MediaWiki.

Random American

Re: A 'Production' wikl?

Post by Random American »

P_I wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:42 pmIs there support from the phpBB development team and community for this idea?

If so, can we use this topic to flush out the concept further.

For reference, the current wiki, https://wiki.phpbb.com/Main_Page is running an ancient and long EOL version of MediaWiki (which was supported until end of May 2017) and for that matter an EOL version of PHP. See Version lifecycle - MediaWiki.
I like the idea of a production wiki that gives useful information about this software. I don't understand why this should be discussed here though, as this board isn't as active as the main site.
Stand with Ukraine!

3Di

Re: A 'Production' wikl?

Post by 3Di »

I do not think there is something to discuss on here about that. IMHO.
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades