Post Options Suggestion

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
steve1200

Post Options Suggestion

Post by steve1200 »

Since many users on my board are not programmers, and do not understand some functional terms, I've noticed the failure to use the "Do not automatically parse URLs" in posts. So I end up with many entries like http://mydomain.com.

As a result I've changed the function so the box is checked by default and the text displays "Convert all URLs to links". I believe this is easier for those that do not understand what do not parse means, so the option is used as needed.

3Di

Re: Post Options Suggestion

Post by 3Di »

Are you suggesting to change the original wording to something like

Do not automatically convert URLs to links or simply Disable URLs?
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

steve1200

Post by steve1200 »

Your first suggestion is better but I do not like Disable URLs as someone might think the URL BBcode won't work if the option is disabled. I look at this similar to the notify me checkbox, which is straight forward and easy to understand.

I prefer consistency as the notify me checkbox does not display Do not notify me when a reply is posted. The name should be the same as the function it performs. I reversed the checkbox logic and originally changed the text to Convert all URLs to links but after more thought, I settled on Automatically convert URLs to links.

I have the URL and notify me boxes checked by default as nearly everyone who visits my site is looking for a response to a post.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

The problem is that changing the sentence is quite simple
but not the behavior that millions of administrators/users have been used to for decades. :)
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

steve1200

Post by steve1200 »

Actually the default behavior remains the same. It's the checkbox visual that is different. In phpBB URLs are parsed by default and in my suggestion they are still parsed by default. Unless someone wants to disable automatic parsing, they don't change anything. However, on my site an unchecked box disables parsing instead of a checked box. So either in either case the poster must change the box status to disable automatic parsing.

Those familiar with phpBB use the option correctly but most of my visitors do not use it at all, apparently not understanding the option's function. If there was an option in ACP to set automatic parsing off, like notify me when a reply is posted, I would never have posted this suggestion. I still think the wording could be improved for clarity.

In any case, if this suggestion doesn't fit phpBB's operational vision, I'm content with making a couple of small manual changes after an upgrade.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

Well, I personally appreciate your suggestion just that
the box is checked by default
can't be implemented IMHO, just the wording changed.

steve1200

Post by steve1200 »

I was able to implement this with a few small changes to the posting.php files.
Here is the default post screen from my website:
tempsnip.png
Automatically convert URLs to links is always checked by default.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

Okay, I understood. But it is not something that can be changed IMHO. :)
3Di wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:49 pm Well, I personally appreciate your suggestion just that
the box is checked by default
can't be implemented IMHO, just the wording changed.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

The terminology is too technical, I agree. That we can't change it is a little more technical and problematic by nature. Really the logic just needs to be reversed for it to be checked by default. However making this change in the currently released versions (3.2.x and 3.3.x) is going to be a no-go because of all the styles that already exist. I'd say it's a good change for 4.x and we should pursue it in that branch (you should make a ticket). Until then you'll need to make the change through an extension (or directly on the files, but you'd risk losing the changes in an update).

steve1200

Post by steve1200 »

Thanks David, you are correct that all I did was flip the logic. I did not expect anything to change in the current versions as that could create a nightmare for everyone. Regarding tickets, I've never had issues with phpBB once I caught on to how it works. I have never submitted a ticket and don't know where tickets are submitted. I did find the development discussion for 4.x in Area51 and made a post there.