Premoderation feature request: Show the newly approved post as a new unread post

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
Actani

Premoderation feature request: Show the newly approved post as a new unread post

Post by Actani »

I am now using premoderation a lot, and I think that the current functionality can be improved. Right now, it works well for topics that are not updated frequently. However, it doesn't work so well in popular topics. One of my forum's users pointed it out to me, and I see that there is a problem indeed.

For example, the following situation may happen: the moderator approves the post of a specific user 1 hour after it was posted, but 50 new posts from other users (who don't need a pre-approval) appear in the topic during this hour. In this case, the moderator will approve an 'old' post that will be lost on the previous pages, and nobody will really read this post.

I think it would be reasonable to automatically change the date/time of the original post to the date/time of approval, so that it appears as a new post.

I've also found a similar suggestion posted previously:
javiexin wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:19 pm if you have an "unapproved" post, and before it gets approved, there are other posts in the same topic (that might not need approval), if someone visits the topic, the "unapproved" post will show as read when approved, and it should not. Besides, it is listed in "publication" order, but it should probably be listed in "approval" order (to be consistent to when this post was VISIBLE to everyone with the right permissions).

david63

Re: Premoderation feature request: Show the newly approved post as a new unread post

Post by david63 »

The problem with changing the date/time to the approval time is that the post could then be out of sequence and might not make sense in the context of the topic.

I do agree though that when a post is approved it should become the first unread post in the topic - there is a similar issue with edited posts.
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

Random American

Re: Premoderation feature request: Show the newly approved post as a new unread post

Post by Random American »

I see good reasons for both leaving it alone and implementing this request. Maybe this could be an optional setting, as it would be good for some boards, while terrible for boards where such an approved post would look like it's out of sequence.
Stand with Ukraine!