language inherits system?

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
M.O.B.

language inherits system?

Post by M.O.B. »

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I did a few searches, but couldn't find anything close to what I was aiming for.

Here is an idea I'd like to propose.

This would benefit admins that like to provide language options for their registered members.

I often wonder how difficult it would be if the other languages that we may install for phpBB could inherit from the main language file (English-British).

So let's say I have the Czech language installed, and it's missing a few new lines, my idea by inherit is that it should grab the missing lines from the English file and etc.

I often find that many lang files are not always up-to-date. And some are mostly missing new lines and etc. So I was wondering if you guys can establish the same type of function that you've done with templates that if a HTML file is missing, it would search from the main template.

But in this case, it will grab the missing line from the English lang file if it can't find from the installed foreign lang file?

What I often do when I install a lang file that isn't up to date, I insert the English lines at the bottom of each file -- painstaking, I know, but it's better than the lang line [BUTTON_INFORMATION] showing to the registered members. I only focus on the lang files that will be shown to the guests to regular members -- I don't need to update the admin files, so at least I get a break with those... :)