Create BIG-BANG Convertor

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

Hello to all.

we know there is not an official convertor for new phpBB series. ( other software to phpBB ).

i think the management team should decide to create a BIG-BANG convertor for us. many people ask us how convert to phpBB and you can see the answers:
how can go to phpBB from Vbulletin 5?
vBulletin 5 -> IPB
IPB -> XenForo
XenForo -> phpBB 3.0.14 (or XenForo -> vBulletin 4, vBulletin 4 -> phpBB 3.0.14)
phpBB 3.0.14 -> phpBB 3.2.0

it is one of funny answer.

i think it is bad for us. a BIG-BANG convertor should an official tools include all in one package.

what do you think?

Ger

Re: Create BIG-BANG Convertor

Post by Ger »

I don't think that's really feasible. There are so much other forum software packages out there, each and everyone with other database structure, not to mention differences between different versions for these packages. Let's say you pick the top 20 software packages and support the last 3 major versions of these, than you'd still end up with 60 different convertors to maintain. And than still for phpBB 3.1, 3.2 and the version now in development: phpBB 3.3. That would result in a whopping 180 convertors :shock:

Of course there would be many similarities between these convertors, but it's still a huge amount of work.
Above message may contain errors in grammar, spelling or wrongly chosen words. This is because I'm not a native speaker. My apologies in advance.

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Post by DavidIQ »

For everything he said ^ and more, not likely to happen.

Meis2M

Post by Meis2M »

i said not all softwares, i means most of them... you can see there is not any new convertor even in 3.1

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

You're right, because they're extremely hard to even come up with. Even the ones that exist for 3.0 are in need of some work. In any case having one big convertor would be quite the nightmare. Each one should be its own individual beast.