phpbb 4

General discussion of development ideas and the approaches taken in the 4.x branch of phpBB. The next feature release of phpBB 4 will be 4.0/Triton.
Forum rules
Please do not post support questions regarding installing, updating, or upgrading phpBB 4.x. If you need support for phpBB 3.3.x please visit the 3.3.x Support Forum on phpbb.com.

If you have questions regarding writing extensions please post in Extension Writers Discussion to receive proper guidance from our staff and community.
CarpCharacin

phpbb 4

Post by CarpCharacin »

phpbb development seems quite slow. Will there ever be a phpbb 4? Hasn't phpbb3 been around for like 10 years?

JimA
Former Team Member

Re: phpbb 4

Post by JimA »

Please keep in mind that this project is entirely run by volunteers, most of which have full time jobs. Under our current versioning scheme, having something like phpBB4 would mean completely rewriting the entire phpBB codebase, I'm sure you'll understand that something like this is an enormous undertaking.

This is why the developers have currently decided to focus on feature releases (3.2, 3.3 etc.) which add new features to our existing codebase and also will have new releases much faster than when we completely rewrite all code. :)
Image Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Moderator Team Member
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

No support here on Area51, please visit the Support forums over at phpBB.com

CarpCharacin

Post by CarpCharacin »

JimA wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:39 pm Please keep in mind that this project is entirely run by volunteers, most of which have full time jobs. Under our current versioning scheme, having something like phpBB4 would mean completely rewriting the entire phpBB codebase, I'm sure you'll understand that something like this is an enormous undertaking.

This is why the developers have currently decided to focus on feature releases (3.2, 3.3 etc.) which add new features to our existing codebase and also will have new releases much faster than when we completely rewrite all code. :)
I know, but the existing codebase is old. When was phpbb3 released?

JimA
Former Team Member

Post by JimA »

December of 2007, per this announcement.

I do however feel that it's a mistake to think that the entire code base is old. Sure, a lot was designed quite a while ago, but very much is also new when we released 3.1 that uses a lot of Symfony components, so that renewed a lot of our existing code.

CarpCharacin

Post by CarpCharacin »

JimA wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:53 pm December of 2007, per this announcement.

I do however feel that it's a mistake to think that the entire code base is old. Sure, a lot was designed quite a while ago, but very much is also new when we released 3.1 that uses a lot of Symfony components, so that renewed a lot of our existing code.
So 3.0 didn't use symfony?

JimA
Former Team Member

Post by JimA »

No, it didn't. So that's one of the major changes since then. :)

david63

Post by david63 »

JimA wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:53 pm ... but very much is also new when we released 3.1 that uses a lot of Symfony components
And even more in 3.2
CarpCharacin wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:46 pm ... but the existing codebase is old.
There is a saying "If it 'aint broke then don't fix it"
David
Remember: You only know what you know -
and you do not know what you do not know!

hanakin
Front-End Dev Team Lead
Front-End Dev Team Lead

Post by hanakin »

david63 wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:10 am There is a saying "If it 'aint broke then don't fix it"
should not be a saying as its a lie...
Donations welcome via Paypal Image

3Di

Post by 3Di »

Fix it before it breaks sounds more appropriated. :)
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

CarpCharacin

Post by CarpCharacin »

3Di wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:34 am Fix it before it breaks sounds more appropriated. :)
I completley agree. I use XenForo for my main forum and i only use phpbb on the goldfish forum because it isn't mine.