A different take on phpBB for 2016 (style)

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
floppydiskette

A different take on phpBB for 2016 (style)

Post by floppydiskette »

Hey everyone -

I posted in the phpBB community forum (here) and they suggested to post it here.

You can view the style in action at DevDiscuss.com or view the code on GitHub. It's very different - more in the style of Discourse and Flarum without being awful.

Very clean, minimalist...I made it in a day, and the code is extremely messy, but you get the idea.

3Di

Re: A different take on phpBB for 2016 (style)

Post by 3Di »

Welcome,
you may want to have a read to this topic https://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopi ... 81&t=49241 too.

Regards. :)
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

Jacob

Post by Jacob »

To be honest, is too minimalist for my taste. But thanks for the work nonetheless.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

Jacob wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:12 am To be honest, is too minimalist for my taste. But thanks for the work nonetheless.
To be honest, I did visit the link you above posted and I have to admit I do like it.
Care to post some screenshots from a mobile point of view?
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

floppydiskette

Post by floppydiskette »

Thanks! I looked over that topic, as well. I'm posting this for some inspiration and to see if anyone likes it. If I were actually part of the phpBB team I might implement a grid system and integrate it with Sass (in fact, I definitely would) but as it is, it's simply a skinning of ProSilver.

I attached some images from my phone - iPhone 5. Not sure how the attachment works on here, otherwise I'll upload the files somewhere.

The style is based on my site, taniarascia.com, which explains all the rainbows and so on, but I would make it different if it were simply generic.
Attachments
image.png
image.png
image.png

3Di

Post by 3Di »

Well done.
FYI attachments here work in a very simply way, while you reply to a post you'll see this at the bottom of the text-area input
attachs-1.png
simply follow that way.. ;)

BTW, I did visit your WebSite and I saw..
I became a professional chef and worked in kitchens for nearly a decade.
Be my guest Tania, I do am a Pro Chef (since decades, still).
I've finally got somebody else here with the same passions, I guess.

I'll send you a Marriage request sooner or later. 8-)

Senky
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by Senky »

Wow, finally one style with totally different look from the prosilver. Very nice!

JimA
Former Team Member

Post by JimA »

Those responsive screenshots look very nice as well. :)
Image Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Moderator Team Member
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

No support here on Area51, please visit the Support forums over at phpBB.com

floppydiskette

Post by floppydiskette »

3Di wrote:ll send you a Marriage request sooner or later.
Well, as long as you do all the cooking. :D
Senky wrote:Wow, finally one style with totally different look from the prosilver. Very nice!
Thank you!!

3Di

Post by 3Di »

floppydiskette wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:17 pm
3Di wrote:ll send you a Marriage request sooner or later.
Well, as long as you do all the cooking. :D
I promise. ;) As long as we'll get a dishwasher though. :)

Back in topic.. I visited the GitHub repo you above linked.

A couple of considerations...
Replaçing just the theme folder means it is a prosilver based style in any case, you should open a Topic in development for this style there at phpbb dot com (styles forum for 3.1.x) and follow the guidelines.
You are in fact taking care just of the visive part of it (front-end) but the logic lies elsewhere, into the template folder. Is there where all of the mayhem is.. ;)
SASS is already implemented by Arty (member of the Styles Team) in most if not all of his styles, you can have a look at those too (artodia.com if I correctly recall).

Instead, if you would like it to be (hopefully) part of the Official package (for 3.3.0 because 3.2.x is features frozen), then you should take in consideration that the new 3.2/3.3 series of phpBB work in a different manner also for the templateing stuffs, consider to use TWIG (that should be also for 3.1.x) and especially SVG images (if I correctly recall, I am more a PHP coder than a templater).. etc. Have an insider look at it just by downloading and installing a 3.2.x Board for testing:
https://download.phpbb.com/pub/release/ ... 3.2.0-RC1/

Sleepy time has come.. :)

Regards.