[RFC] Refactoring the Language Management

Discuss general development subjects that are not specific to a particular version like the versioning control system we use or other infrastructure.
3Di

[RFC] Refactoring the Language Management

Post by 3Di »

Hi all, before to open a ticket for a new feature request I would like this to be discussed, if possible.

While we are able to install several styles at one time checking the appropriated "check boxes", we are not able to do the same thing about languages.

Today I transferred (example) the content of a Board to another one and I got a boring job to do (steps, always too much of steps here).. installing all of those languages (don't ask me why, I need those installed/available for developping a tool) one by one. :)

I believe the way the styles can be installed at once should be mimed also for languages.

Any thoughts?
🆓 Free support for our extensions also provided here: phpBB Studio
🚀 Looking for a specific feature or alternative option? We will rock you!
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

DavidIQ
Customisations Team Leader

Re: [RFC] Refactoring the Language Management

Post by DavidIQ »

Aren't languages installed the same way as styles, i.e. upload the desired language to the language directory?

3Di

Post by 3Di »

DavidIQ wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:32 pm Aren't languages installed the same way as styles, i.e. upload the desired language to the language directory?
Indeed you have first to upload those (both) but then you also have to install them.

ACP/customise/

Install styles gives you the opportunity to install all of those at once, instead install languages does not, you have to install them one by one. Quite boring. :|

The install styles part gives you also a nice response (green box) if no further styles to be installed are found into the styles folder.
languages-1.png
languages-1.png (13.05 KiB) Viewed 9420 times
Please PM me only to request paid works. Thx. Want to compensate me for my interest? Donate
My development's activity º PhpStorm's proud user º Extensions, Scripts, MOD porting, Update/Upgrades

DavidIQ

Post by DavidIQ »

I see...makes sense. I think Language Management was modeled after Extension Management so the result is what we have today. Maybe it should be modeled after Style Management since there's no danger with installing multiple language packs at the same time, which is probably why Style Management is the way it is.

3Di

Post by 3Di »

I think so, language management is older than the styles one. Should be IMHO refactored.